Hikvision NVR DS-7116-SN/P - troubles with config.

gilh11

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've bought an Hikvision NVR DS-7116NI-SN/P, with firmware V2.3.6 build 131120.
After many hours, I've succeeded to configure the EMail, and EMail test is going great and sending me emails.

I've tried to configure motion alarms by EMails, and to attach an HDD and failed with both of them.
In Motion detection tab - I've defined motion detection area and marked 'Notify Surveillance Center' and 'Send Email' but nothing, I'm dancing :) in front of the camera, but no email has been sent capturing that moment.

I've tried to connect two types of hard drives, (1) Seagate 2TB ST20000DM001 and (2) WD 1TByte WD10EURS, but in nither of them is detected in HDD managment tab.

Tried to upgrade the firmware to V3.0.18 build 151231, and still HDD is not recognized and motion detection not sending emails. (EMail test still working perfectly fine).

Any idea will be great.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried to connect two types of hard drives, (1) Seagate 2TB ST20000DM001 and (2) WD 1TByte WD10EURS, but in nither of them is detected in HDD managment tab.
I don't know for sure - but I think you need to get the basic hardware into a working state before trying the other things that may well depend on the availability of HDD storage for their operation.
On attaching the HDDs - have you tried more than one SATA and power cable?

gilh11

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I've tried several SATA cables, with the same result.
About the power cable, Hikvision power plug is non-standard connector on-board, so I cannot check some different cables.
One thing I noticed is that the original power-cable that arrived has only 4 wires connected (where there are 5 on standard cables).
Another thing, Hikvision hard drives list is very limited, and those hard-drives are not on that list, but I've figured that an hard-drive is an hard-drive and any hard-drive should work. Am i wrong?
I really dont want to spend more money on another hard-drive if I'm not sure that this will fix this issue.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you hear the drive spin up or any head actuator activity when you power on the NVR or connect the power cable?
My NVR power cables just us 4 wires.
Have you tried both SATA interfaces?

gilh11

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, checked it out...
This is really weird.. there is a sound of activity from within the hard-drive, it's ticking like a clock.
Double checked it if the HD is really the source, unplugged it from the power source, and the ticking sound went away, recovered the power source and the ticking came back :numbness:.
Maybe not enough current the HD?!
About the SATA interfaces, I have only 1 on-board.
BTW, thank you very much for helping me out.. cheers. :rugby:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're convinced the discs are OK - eg from plugging them in to something else and confirming that - then it may be that there is a fault in the NVR.
If you bought it new perhaps it's time to contact the seller.

gilh11

n3wb
Reaction score
[SOLVED] used a multimeter to test voltage on the hard drive. I've realized that the hard drive voltage from the board in only 10.5V. Replaced the power supply and problem solved.

Another problem that I have now. I've configured motion detection on the brand still there where no motions alerts, after I've enabled the motion detection on the camera I've started to receive motion detection alerts, but it's sometimes working and on the other times not! Tried to change to the highest sensitivity but still motion detection are receiving randomly. What am I doing wrong?
Another thing is that one of the cameras is located on a position that at night it have low light but not low enough. The result is that it's switching in and out IR periodicity, is there anyway to solve that?