Hikvision NVR ds-7716-NI-sp/16- unexpected camera connection issues after 2nd hard drive install- some cameras functional- most not

Skingjack

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

NVR newbie here. The title describes the issue: the additional hard drive install went with no issues however upon reconnecting camera cables to the POE ports on the rear of the NVR and rebooting, some
cameras are able to be accessed however most are not. Having never dealt with an NVR before (I'm Blue iris), I'm at a loss as to why as the cables were plugged into the same ports as they
originally were prior to HD addition. Little confused why this connectivity might be happening. Below/attached is a picture of the camera connections when accessing the NVR config page via computer. Can someone confirm my thoughts at what I'm looking at.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 17.47.52.png

Some basic questions:

Channel No. represents the ports on the back of the NVR along with the respective NVR assigned addresses (192.168.254.x). Are the IPs highlighted in blue the actual camera ip addresses? If so, how does one access the cameras individually via computer/web browser- they are not accessible over the network when trying to access via computer web browser. Obviously the firmware version/and models will be indicated when the cameras are online.

Another complication, I also note that via the HIK NVR camera setup menu, some of these camera connections are set up as manual while others are plug and play ( most plug and play); not sure why the discrepancy (though more than 1 individuals had set up the cameras in the past).

So the question- what is the easiest/quickest/most secure/best practices way to reset everything so that a NVR port will pick up a camera when it's cable is plugged in?

Back to the forums/videos for me; a lot more reading is ahead of me this evening to see if I can resolve on my own but some quick tips/pointers/guidance from others would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Channel No. represents the ports on the back of the NVR along with the respective NVR assigned addresses (192.168.254.x).
Yes, that's correct.

Are the IPs highlighted in blue the actual camera ip addresses?
No, the actual IP addresses of the cameras do not show in that screen. Or any other NVR screen.
If so, how does one access the cameras individually via computer/web browser- they are not accessible over the network when trying to access via computer web browser.
The links highlighted in blue under the 'Connect' column are 'NATed addresses' using the NVR Virtual Host facility to access the cameras via the NVR LAN interface.

the cables were plugged into the same ports as they
originally were prior to HD addition.
In which case all should have been OK.
Despite that - a suggestion to try.
Install SADP if you don't already have it.
SADP will discover Hikvision devices on IP address ranges that are different from the address range of the PC it's running on.

If the camera cables are not already labelled - label them, then disconnect them all.
Connect the PC running SADP to an unused NVR PoE port, click 'Refresh' on SADP.
It will discover the NVR and show its details.

Connect one camera, to any port, wait about 2mins while it boots, click refresh in SADP.
The camera will appear.
Note the IP address, and re-connect the camera to the NVR channel that has been assigned the same IP address, as shown in the Camera Configuration page of the NVR.
Repeat for all cameras, watching carefully in SADP for each new one that appears to be sure you pick the right one to connect to the associated channel that has the same IP address configured.
Hopefully that will work out OK.

Skingjack

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alistair,

Thanks for the quick response. Spent a good portion of the day plugging away (literally) in an attempt to remedy BEFORE reading your reply- likely would have saved me a sizable amount of time lol.
No matter..always good to be learning. I will try your suggestions in the morning.

This is what I noted/found out today after doing some stuff; not sure if it is pertinent or usable. The camera cables that did not function when plugged into the NVR were plugged into a POE switch that was
connected to the router & NVR- SADP was able to pick up these units as per below.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Prior to doing the above this is what the NVR camera setup screen reflected:
IMG_0081.jpg

Post plugging into the switch:
IMG_0082.jpg

We will see what tomorrow brings when I implement your suggestions. Thanks again!

Jack

Attachments