Hikvision NVR DS7616NI-I2/16p stops recording motion

wtwhite

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new Hikvision NVR running 11 Hikvision cameras. Disk is WD purple 6tb, system has been up and running okay for about 30 days thought it was stable after all the tweaks and updates but yesterday noticed it had stopped recording all cameras (all set to motion detect). Was able to resolve after rebooting the NVR but after about 18 hours it just stopped recording. Live view working okay, just decides to stop listening to motion alerts from the cameras. Reboot resolves this but system is useless if it just randomly stops recording. Logs tell me nothing, HDD self test succeeds.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What if anything about motion alarms and HDD status is showing in the system log near the time when recording stops?
Is the HDD set to overwrite when full?
HDD self test succeeds.
Much more useful would be to check the counts in the SMART detail for any non-zero attributes associated with errors.

wtwhite

n3wb
Reaction score
What if anything about motion alarms and HDD status is showing in the system log near the time when recording stops?
Is the HDD set to overwrite when full?
-yes set to overwrite

Much more useful would be to check the counts in the SMART detail for any non-zero attributes associated with errors.
it stopped recording again this afternoon. In the log there is a HDD SMART entry Status all entries are ok but then I have no way to decipher the data across the columns.

I read an older thread of a similar issue where an NVR began self rebooting after 28 to 30 day periods and responders pointed to the WD purple drives as having issues when dealing with bad sectors and the Hikvision presumably not handling this elegantly but then the thread goes on with the OP finding an updated firmware and issue goes away. I am going through the SMART logs trying to learn what I'm looking at.