Hikvision NVR firmware 3.4.93 to 4.60.005?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently changing some of my cameras over and found my DS-7608NI-I2/8P is on firmware version is 3.4.93 build 180622, I can see on the Aus website it’s now up to 4.60.005 build 231219, I have read on some forums skipping versions could brick it, the camera firmware would be the same vintage, would you update the NVR first or cameras first?

js-nz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same NVR and had around the same firmware. From around 2016. Just updated yesterday with no issue.
I assume you have the international version?

The cameras you could probably leave as is unless you have a particular issue to solve. When I installed my system most of my cameras were chinese versions so I have never updated the firmware and haven't had an issue.

Reaction score
I tried going to 3.4.100 and bricked it, from the people I have spoken to said it can't be fixed and I have to buy a new one.
I bought a new camera and the features were not in the NVR settings so I never should have touched it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried going to 3.4.100 and bricked it, from the people I have spoken to said it can't be fixed and I have to buy a new one.
I'd be surprised if it can't be restored to normal operation.
It just needs a lower level access than the web GUI.

What are the symptoms after the firmware update?
Does the NVR show in SADP?
Do you have a link to the firmware that you used?

I bought a new camera and the features were not in the NVR settings so I never should have touched it.
It's usually best to do the detailed configuration of the cameras on the camera web GUI itself, which can be accessed via the NVR 'Virtual Host' facility.
The NVR only provides a subset of a camera configuration settings.
What camera features did you expect to be able to configure in the NVR?

Reaction score
Hi Alastair,

Thanks for your reply, going from 3.4.93 to 3.4.103, once it rebooted it said to enter a new password, It wouldn't let me enter a user so I left user blank and entered a new password, then it said to draw a pattern, when I try to do anything it asks for the admin pattern, the pattern I set doesn't work and I keep loosing trys, I tried forget my pattern and it seems I am back in a loop as it asks for the username & password, there is no user and when entering the password nothing happens.

This was the firmware I downloaded:
I was able to access the cameras via the NVR before I tried upgrading the firmware, it included things like people & car identification which was greyed out in the normal NVR camera setting page.

I was accessing the camera setting page via the web GUI on a Mac which doesn't seem to work very well, I do have access to a PC so that may be worth a try by the sounds of it.

Image-1.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
going from 3.4.93 to 3.4.103, once it rebooted it said to enter a new password,
Yes, somewhere in those I-series firmware versions, a web GUI or VGA/HDMI firmware update also resets the device to 'Inactive', not what used to happen previously.
To 'Activate' the device, a new user-chosen password is required, after which normal access should be possible.

I do have access to a PC so that may be worth a try by the sounds of it.
Definitely should be tried. There might be a compatibility issue with the Mac browser. I don't recall if the .103 firmware version has the new V4.5 web code, which seriously messed up some browser compatibility that previously had been fine.

Install SADP to determine the status of the NVR (ie is it now 'Active'?) and see the IP address.
Then access the NVR web GUI at that IP address, with the PC IP address being in the same range, preferably using IE11 either in it's original form (quite a few posts on how to activate that) or via 'Internet Explorer Mode' in MS Edge.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the EmpireTech (Dahua) NVR, and there's a hard reset button on the "motherboard". Not sure if Hikvision has the same, but look into it before buying a new unit.