Hikvision NVR Issue

Bmrboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out with this one. It's driving me nuts.

I just recently installed a DS-7616NI-SE/P at a customer location and I have the following setup:

4 cameras on the main building connected through onboard POE ports.
2 cameras on separate building connected via Ubiquiti Loco M5 Point to Point Wireless link and Trendnet 8 port 10/100 Switch (4 POE).

LAN port on NVR is plugged into a D-Link 10/100 switch.

The IP of the NVR is set as 172.16.79.* and the Wireless devices and other 2 Cameras are set on the same subnet. I can connect directly to the camera web interfaces with no issues and no lag or any packet loss.

Here's where I run into the issue: the 4 cameras on the main building operate normally on the NVR. When I add the two IP cameras, they stay up for about 15-20 minutes and then the screen just blacks out. Occasionally they will come back, but not typically. Sometimes a hardware reset fixes this, sometimes not. The password on the NVR matches the cameras.

I have updated the firmware on the NVR to the most recent and thought that fixed it, but the problem still persists. I am not seeing any kind of packet loss over the wireless link...and the web interface for the 2 cameras stays up. Running all Hikvision 2032 cameras.

It's gotta be some kind of issue with the NVR, but i'm struggling to figure this one out.

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas for me.

Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so the screen is black, but camera status does not show 'disconnected'?
Do you have a monitor on the VGA/HDMI port, and what does it show for the traffic level between normal and problem?
Do you also get black video on playback?
What if anything does the log on the NVR show around the problem time?
Maybe try pulling an RTSP feed from the cameras (VLC for example) from the PC on the LAN in the main building to see if the video looks normal when the NVR Live View does not.
The web GUI view of the camera streams via HTTP with webcomponents, not the same as how the NVR pulls the stream.

Bmrboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct - I don't believe that it shows a status of 'disconnected'. I have a monitor on the VGA port. Next time i'm over there i'll check with the traffic level. However, I know that in the camera settings they are definitely not connected at that point.

I haven't tried playback yet - I will give that a shot. I think it is something else going on with the NVR. When I first added the IP cameras it wouldn't even get a connection to them - it had the yellow exclamation point. Then I rebooted the unit and the video showed up. I thought it might be a network issue but there is no data loss to the cameras that I can see.

That's a good idea on pulling the RTSP feed from the cameras. My gut tells me that it's something going on with the NVR, but

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the bitrate and the video quality set to? I had a similar issue where the main stream would drop out but I would still have substream. The image you get from HDMI / VGA is from the substream. If you find you don't lose substream but main steam keeps dropping out, lower the bitrate to 2048 and video quality to low. Test with that to see if it resolves the dropout issue. If it does keep increasing the bitrate slightly until the issue comes back. Then back off a bit. Your looking for the sweet spot.

Bmrboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I left all of those settings the same as default. How can the image from HDMI/VGA be the substream if you have it showing in full screen HD?

Main Stream-

Resolution: 1920x1080
Bitrate Type: Variable
Video Quality: Medium
Frame Rate: 25
Bit Rate: 4096

Substream-

Resolution: 352x288
Bitrate Type: Variable
Video Quality: Medium
Frame Rate: 25
Bit Rate: 512

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How can the image from HDMI/VGA be the substream if you have it showing in full screen HD?
The NVR multiplexes the substream of the cameras and upscales it to 1080P. It totally sucks. If you still have your doubts, choose a camera and reduce the Substream resolution and video quality to it's lowest settings. You will see the image quality change on your monitor / TV.

Bmrboy

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR multiplexes the substream of the cameras and upscales it to 1080P. It totally sucks. If you still have your doubts, choose a camera and reduce the Substream resolution and video quality to it's lowest settings. You will see the image quality change on your monitor / TV.
Correct me if i'm wrong but on the Cameras setup page it should still show connected even if there is an issue with the stream, right? When the screen goes black, if I go back to the cameras page it is showing those 2 cameras as no connection.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I was having my issue it still showed connected. I was still getting substream but Mainstream was dropping out. Are you sure you're not getting any packet loss on the wireless? Have you done any testing to see what your actual throughput is? Is there any other traffic coming across the wireless or is it just the cameras?

Bmrboy

n3wb
Reaction score
When I was having my issue it still showed connected. I was still getting substream but Mainstream was dropping out. Are you sure you're not getting any packet loss on the wireless? Have you done any testing to see what your actual throughput is? Is there any other traffic coming across the wireless or is it just the cameras?
Wireless connection is rock solid. The buildings are only 50 feet apart. I can try messing with the settings and testing throughput. Even if the connection gets bad, assuming it comes back to normal the video should re-appear, shouldn't it?

No other traffic - only 2 cameras. Don't see any issues when connecting directly and looking at the video feed. I can't imagine that the two cameras would drop even at full HD..i'm getting in excess of 100 Mbps on those links.

zmx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
error

Last edited by a moderator:

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would think it would reconnect but some devices just don't like packet loss. I have seen some funky wireless issues so don't automatically assume it's rock solid.

As a test, try reducing the network load on the wireless by changing the mainstream settings to:

Video Quality: low
Frame Rate: 15
Bit Rate: 2048

25fps is quite high. You don't get much gain from going from 15fps to 25fps and it eats up a lot of extra storage capacity.

Also, any reason you running
1920x1080 (2MP) instead of 2048x1536 (3mp)

Bmrboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I found out more information today- apparently it says "NO LINK" on the page and then after awhile the cameras will come back online. I'm going to stress test the wireless and try reducing the settings to see what happens.

Thanks for the ideas, guys - i'll get back to you soon.

zmx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
error

Bmrboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I tweaked some settings on the m5 Locos and also dialed down the camera settings. So far, no drops! I really appreciate all the help...Happy Holidays!

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I tweaked some settings on the m5 Locos and also dialed down the camera settings. So far, no drops! I really appreciate all the help...Happy Holidays!

Good to hear! Have a good Holiday!