Hikvision NVR mixed w/ Blue Iris for small residential application

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all.. Planning on setting up some cameras, inside and out. Going w/ Hikvision turrets most likely. I was originally planning on going only w/ Blue Iris but then realized it will be a burden on my CPU so then was going to get a Hikvision NVR to make it easier. One question - can I do both? meaning if I wanted only one or two of the cameras that are connected to the NVR also on BI, can that be done? This way I could use more the intuitiveness of the BI software for specific needs? Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all.. Planning on setting up some cameras, inside and out. Going w/ Hikvision turrets most likely. I was originally planning on going only w/ Blue Iris but then realized it will be a burden on my CPU so then was going to get a Hikvision NVR to make it easier. One question - can I do both? meaning if I wanted only one or two of the cameras that are connected to the NVR also on BI, can that be done? This way I could use more the intuitiveness of the BI software for specific needs? Thoughts?
If you hook the cameras up to a switch you can stream direct from the camera to BI and the NVR. Or you can pull the stream from the NVR itself but more than a few streams will cause issues.
Why just not buy a dedicated 300 dollar i5-4590/i5-6500 pc to run blue iris on?

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yea, I was considering buying a dedicated CPU, but was reading something about the actual recordings from 5+ cameras to a "standard" HDD may be an issue.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah you know what it was more of causing a LAN issue with bandwith. i'm really not wanting to create another VLAN or something that's why i was leaning to the NVR... Since I'm solo a minimal/residential user, maybe max 7 cameras eventually. I can just do a i5 processer, nice sized internal HDD, POE switch and be basically done, do you think that will cause any LAN issues ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, that may change things for me then... Since I'm solo a minimal/residential user, maybe max 7 cameras eventually. I can just do a i5 processer, nice sized internal HDD, POE switch and be basically done, right?
You want the processor to be at least an i5-4590 or higher. This more modern i5-6500 is available for 399 or best offer. I picked up an identical unit from the same seller (but with a 256ssd) for 320. Offer 300. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G2-Core-i5-3-2GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HD-P4J99UT-/222171648995?hash=item33ba7653e3:g:~uQAAOSweWVXdUbr

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You want the processor to be at least an i5-4590 or higher. This more modern i5-6500 is available for 399 or best offer. I picked up an identical unit from the same seller (but with a 256ssd) for 320. Offer 300. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G2-Core-i5-3-2GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HD-P4J99UT-/222171648995?hash=item33ba7653e3:g:~uQAAOSweWVXdUbr
I edited my last post after you started replying... it wasn't that there would be CPU or HDD issues it was that the cameras would cause bandwith /LAN issues and I would need to setup VLAN of some sort... That is what I was worried about. What are your thoughts on that? I was planning on Hikvision 2MP turrets and/or domes.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I edited my last post after you started replying... it wasn't that there would be CPU or HDD issues it was that the cameras would cause bandwith /LAN issues and I would need to setup VLAN of some sort... That is what I was worried about. What are your thoughts on that? I was planning on Hikvision 2MP turrets and/or domes.
There would be zero bandwidth issues on a gigabit network.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There would be zero bandwidth issues on a gigabit network.
GREAT! thanks for info and link, going to look into it now. Since you seem to know your stuff, any recommendations as to where to buy the actual Hikvision cameras an POE switch?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
GREAT! thanks for info and link, going to look into it now. Since you seem to know your stuff, any recommendations as to where to buy the actual Hikvision cameras an POE switch?
Nellys security and the milkisbad thread are both good options. Milkisbad has a large selection of native 2mp cameras.