Hikvision NVR new firmware 3.2.1

Reaction score
I always used digicap.mav files for 7616NI-SE nvr! I cheked 3.1.1 provided by my supplier and it's digicap.mav as espected. I have digicap.dav only for cameras. So, How will I find a 3.2.1 for my NVR to test with safety?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I didn't correctly match up what I thought was your model number and the firmware files that Hikvision publishes. The model suffix letters are all-important, and the most confusing.
In which case the link that you posted about where you downloaded the firmware you fixed it with is the one to use.

On the 3.1.1 that your seller provided - is it also a digicap.mav of about 24MB? If so - it looks like I pointed you to an incorrect download page in my earlier 'try this' suggestion, apologies.

By the way - what's the network problem you are trying to solve?

Steve

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone knows is there any console access for Hikvision DS-7616H-ST?
There is no RS232 port at the back panel. But there is a connector on the main board.
Can I use that connector to get the console access?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry - looks like I remembered the wrong model number from your post about the bootup problem after the upgrade.
But it's your choice whether to try the 3.2.1 firmware, I don't have that model so can't really advise.
But if you hit a problem - you have some experience in recovering it! Good luck.

Reaction score
I think I've to open a new thread about my network test and the issue I would solve (or better understand). It's about main stream and sub stream view and recording on NVR and remote live view on ivm4200. Do you think I'm right, alastairstevenson?

Reaction score
However, here you can see "mode" and "normal" or "cloud" in 3.2.1 on my 7616NI-SP. This strange "cloud" bricked my nvr. What is it?

Attachments

phillip da

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I've to open a new thread about my network test and the issue I would solve (or better understand). It's about main stream and sub stream view and recording on NVR and remote live view on ivm4200. Do you think I'm right, alastairstevenson?
Hi, have you started the new thread, I am having issues with live view on my phones ivms4500 app and recording on the NVR.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a USA verison ds9664 ni st nvr. and downloaded the 3.2.1. after successful update...rebooted. user name in the drop down menu is BLANK!!!!! and I tried to tftp back the older firmware. it WON'T let me do it. since I bought the usa version, so I called them. they told me that I can't downgrade unless use rs232 cable. so i bought the cable and call them back...they remote my pc and use putty and upload the firmware through the cable!!!!!!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, been there, done that!
I've been trying to trash this 7816N-E2 by tweaking the firmware and have succeeded a few times. A learning process ...
But each time the serial console connection (aka RS232 connection) has saved the day and brought it back to life.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes indeed, a TTL serial port.
You will need something like this, plenty of places and choices to buy them if you don't already have one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331270424343?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I just received the above UART cable and have a 7816N-E1. Does anyone know the pinout to the connector on the 7816N-E1? I think I will only need the Tx, Rx, and GND.

Also, I checked the prtHardInfo of the NVR and its language flag is 2 (Chinese, no surprise) and is running 3.0.10 in Multi-Language and defaulting to English at login (as I want). All my 2xx2 cams have their language flag set to 1 (English) and I can connect to them via the NVR in Hikvision protocol (no language mismatch issues). If I "upgrade" to 3.2.1 will the NVR default to a Chinese language only interface? Is there any good reason to upgrade?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using the same board connector as was in that thread, and some others, here is how I've got that UART cable hooked up:

The white cable is power - make sure it doesn't touch anything.
I've found this to be a very useful facility when messing with the 7816N - bricked it loads of times, and recovered it loads via the serial console.

Some hints from my own experience:

The 3.2.1 firmware is a lot different in appearance, 'prettier', and a bit better in functionality, than earlier versions. Better layout too.
It has a useful 'digital zoom magnifier' on playback.
The camera smart events support is much expanded.
If you are used to doing things via telnet, it's by default not available.
And the serial console dumps you in a 'protected shell' where you can do almost nothing useful.

My 7816N-E2 is language=2
The interface stayed English only if it was firmware upgraded from the web GUI (not TFTP) from an already English interface. This translates the configuration as part of the update. Using TFTP resets the config, and the interface is Chinese.
After web GUI upgrade to 3.2.1 it worked OK with cameras with language=2 and 1
Start at 2015-05-02 14:18:40
Serial NO :1620150203AARR503146794WCVU
V3.2.1, build 150304
softBase:/Platform/trunk:0
KernelVersion: V1.0.0 build 000000
dspSoftVersion: V5.0 build 150213
codecVersion: V5.0 build 150213
hardwareVersion = 0x0
encodeChans = 0
decodeChans = 16
alarmInNums = 0
alarmOutNums = 0
flashsize = 0x0
ramSize = 0x40000000
networksNums = 1
language = 2
devType:DS-7816N-E2
bootPartition = 1
randomCode =
What I strongly suggest if you think about upgrading is to back up your existing firmware so you have a way back should you wish.
All you need is a copy of mtdblock2 in the as-delivered state. But copy mtdblock0 and 1 also.
The easiest way is if you can add a NAS destination via the GUI. It does not need to be formatted.
Something like this for an NFS mount.
Use 'mount' to find the mount point, then something like:
cd /mnt/tnfs01
umount /dev/mtdblock2
cat /dev/mtdblock2 > mtdblock2_orig
mount /dev/mtdblock2 /home/hik

You could also use TFTP, something like
TFTP -p -l mtdblock2_orig <IP address of TFTP server>

And the same for mtdblock0 & 1, though these don't need unmounted.
Then you can either at a later date 'cat' the mtdblock2_orig' back where it came from, or you can create new firmware using @wzhick really useful tool Hiktools to get a digicap.dav that the web GUI and TFTP recovery is happy with.
Also - make a backup copy of the NVR configuration, and the camera settings, via the maintenance menu, with the filename including the associated firmware version. You can't restore configurations across firmware versions.
That way - you can put the whole thing back exactly how it was before the firmware update if you ever need to do so.

And for info - but I'm not going to go into detail here, it's a bit techy complicated - again with the useful Hiktools to create / customise the firmware, telnet can be reactivated, and the 'psh Busybox protected shell' can be inhibited too, leaving just as good access to the internals as before.

Good luck - but be careful.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair. I still have to source the connector but have the USB/RS232_TTL cable.

I backed up my mtd blocks:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 192K May 14 12:27 mtdblock0_orig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 128K May 14 12:26 mtdblock1_orig
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16M May 14 12:26 mtdblock2_orig
scn101@rb-VB:/var/nfs/cam$

I'm not sure if I'll try upgrading from 3.0.10 for fear I'll run into troubles I won't be able to fix. For instance, how to you restore the mtdblocks? Do you cat them back from the nfs server to /dev/mtdblock to program the flash? I'm not sure how a cramfs handles this? I know on a camera I need to use nandwrite.