Hikvision NVR POE port IP address

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi

So all my cameras are setup with static IP address, how do I get this working with NVR Poe ports as this seems to be on a different range?

If I can't use my local lan subnet do I need to put it back to factory default for it to talk to the NVR?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Generally with Hikvision cameras on PoE ports on a Hikvision NVR, if the PoE port is set to 'Plug and Play' and the default password is still active, the camera will be automatically configured a few seconds after it's plugged in.
If you look at Live View (either or both web admin or VGA/HDMI) and plug the camera in, you should see an image after a few seconds.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I am looking to have direct access from my LAN to the cameras... so the options I have read till now are:

1. Plug one of the POE ports directly to the switch just like the LAN port and then manually configure the camera with correct IP. Also do I need to configure this IP on the NVR too on the channel section where we have list of all IPs?

2. Other option is to do routing on the NVR but I will also need to setup routing on PC which is what I don't want.

Is there any other options? I have DS-7616N-E2/8P on version 3.0.10 so does this have virtual host feature, if it does how will it help me in this situation?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So did the camera work OK when you connected it to a PoE port?
If you put the camera back on the LAN, an easy and quick way to reconfigure the IP address is to use the very good tool SADP. Worth installing, if you don't already have it.

It sounds like you may have read this:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1604-Hikvision-POE-LAN-segment-access-to-cameras-without-virtual-host-or-extra-wiring?highlight=ip+routing
The routing rule can be configured on your gateway, usually your router, eliminating the need to configure any PCs.

And maybe you have read this:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/115-Hitting-cameras-web-pages-with-a-laptop-in-an-NVR-with-POE

And this:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2113-Full-access-to-cameras-via-Hikvision-NVR?highlight=davep+access+cameras+poe

And DaveP has written on the topic - but I can't find the start of that thread.

The 'Virtual Host' is not enabled by default. You will need to check out the web admin configuration settings.
I believe the tickbox if it exists is under Network | Advanced settings. If enabled, there is a new column at the right of Camera Management with URLs that give direct camera access.

*edit* And by the way - there is no reason why you can't have cameras on the local LAN as well, they can be added under 'Camera Management'.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yep i have gone through all the threads. I just received my NVR yesterday and cameras few days earlier. With the camera i has assigned a IP address on the LAN and was using HIKvision software to manage and view.

My NVR came yesterday and i could not get the cameras working through it hence search on forum and came to realise it was because they were on different subnet. I had also changed the default password on the cameras.

So if i were to enable virtual host will solve the issue i.e. have APs on the local lan subnet?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have 'Virtual Host' you are able to access the cameras web GUI via a pass-through facility of the NVR, using URLs that are listed as the right-hand column of 'Camera Management'.
It does not change the IP addresses of the cameras that the NVR assigned with plug&play - it's somewhat of a NAT facility.
Interestingly - if your NVR does have the Virtual Host facility enabled - then Linux kernel IP routing is also already enabled, so (almost) all you need is a LAN IP route that uses the NVR IP address as the gateway to the PoE network segment address range to gain direct access to the camera web GUI. I believe in that case, there is no requirement to alter the camera web GUI port away from 80 as the NVR just passes that traffic straight through. An easy thing to test by adding a temporary route to the PC.

And yes, as far as I know, changing the default camera password does block the automatic plug & play option on a PoE port, as the ID and password are greyed out and unavailable to change.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks for the info.

I shall check later today whether my NVR does have virtual host, if not i will be following your method by doing IP routing and also add a route on my router which works as i have other routes i am currently using.

or if i want the APs to have my local lan address i might put a switch before NVR and have cable going to the POE port as i have one spare

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok now I checked it and it seems I don't have the virtual host option. I believe this is firmware related as I read on another US forum same NVR with latest version had the option

I wonder if it would be possible to flash a US image on it?

In any case I have got this working using the second option of routing which is much simpler. All I had to do is enable routing on NVR and add a static route on my router and voila.

Thanks for the help much appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done.
It sounds like you are comfortable with networking practice.
You probably know this already, so apologies, but be aware that the IP routing / forwarding activation in the NVR will not survive a reboot as there is no access to the original configuration definition.
Though it may be able to be added to a startup script, I've not (yet) explored that.
I've not found that to be a problem on my NVR as it's never rebooted itself, nor have I had to reboot it.

The Virtual Host capability isn't just firmware version dependant - as far as I can tell it's also enabled in the hardware descriptor in the flash, though I've not explored where.
I don't have it in either of my NVRs, despite running the same firmware that has provided it on other NVRs.

jesd03

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep very well aware of the reboot scenario. I don't need direct access to camera every time unless a configuration change needed direct access.

I have my server on 24/7 which I can access remotely (securely) which will allow me access to NVR and do routing if needed.

Any suggestions on the iPhone app to use, I have downloaded the Hikvision one but wondered what others used.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep very well aware of the reboot scenario. I don't need direct access to camera every time unless a configuration change needed direct access.

I have my server on 24/7 which I can access remotely (securely) which will allow me access to NVR and do routing if needed.

Any suggestions on the iPhone app to use, I have downloaded the Hikvision one but wondered what others used.
Chris, I'm having the same battle trying to get hikvision nvr and cams to talk, yet retain the picture quality of the hik cam when it was direct access.
Using the PVR and default settings for the cam works, but the picture quality is very poor via iphone app. Direct hik cam via iphone app is amazing.

Anyway, the best iphone app for this is by far IPCam Viewer, I use it all the time.

S474N

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have same problem with POE directly from NVR. I resolve it - bought new switch with 802.3af POE and I connected cams directly to switch. :)

Blackota

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm aware that this topic is 2 years old, and you guys probably solved it since, but after sweating for a few hours today, this is what I learnt...

If you buy a Hikvision NVR with built-in POE switch (marked with the extension -4/8/16P) and IP cameras for it, BUT you test the cameras first, activating them and hooking them to the router (not to the NVR), when you finally wish to connect them to the NVR's POE switch, they probably won't work as the NVR's POE uses another IP range than the router.

Neirher DHCP nor switching IPs to the POE's range didn't help, (neither trying many other combinations and menu options) so as a last option I reset all the cameras using the dedicated button on them.

And surprise... in a few seconds they all appeared live and recording in the NVR.

Also, if the cameras were previously added individually in iVMS, they won't be accessible anymore that way, now the NVR has to be added in iVMS.

Hope this info will help other IPCam/NVR noobs like me :)

a7soni

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is definetely an older topic but I've spent the last week and a half pulling my hair out. My company took over an older facility that was already using a combination of analog and IP cameras (hikvision). I bought a new hybrid DVR/NVR system that allows 32 channels in any configuration of analog and IP. I have 16 analog cameras plugged into the back and those started to work immediately. Then I purchased a secondary POE switch with 16 ports, I plugged in the cameras from the old hikvision and nothing showed up in the new system. After some digging I found out that the hikvision POE NVR automatically assigns a new subnet. For example my network is 192.168.1.x (even the hikvision is on that network at 192.168.1.21) however when I log into the hikvision and check the IP address of the cameras they are all on the 192.168.254.x range. I've enabled virtual host and tried to change the IP addresses of the cameras to my local networks, after it reboots it still has the same old IP address with the 192.168.254.x range. I've even tried plugging the cameras directly into my laptop that's not on the local network and then changed my ethernet port to 192.168.254.x and I can access the cameras fine, but still when I change the IP, then plug it into the new POE switch it still doesn't show the cameras listed in my new DVR/NVR. I thought this could be a limitation on the new system however oddly enough it let me add the hikvision NVR AS A CAMERA and it showed one camera on my screen from that system. I'm sure it's just getting the configuration right.

Sorry a lot of words, hopefully this makes sense. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.