Hikvision NVR- POE Power Overload

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Having a strange problem with a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2 connected to 7 Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras, all purchased new and installed together 2 years ago.

The system has worked flawlessly until last week, when I noticed that no cameras are displayed in live view. I'm seeing no POE lights blinking, except on startup of the NVR. I assumed the POE block was dead and ordered an identical replacement Hikvison NVR, but after install see the same problem as before.

There is an error message on the Old NVR showing "POE Power Overload". The New NVR is showing the same message, with the same power stats (See attached pics).

I have disconnected all cameras, but the overload remains even after rebooting several times.
It shows up on both NVRs, even with cameras disconnected.

Any help to solve this is appreciated...

IMG_20180910_132251259.jpg

003.JPG

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The New NVR is showing the same message, with the same power stats
Were either of the NVRs subject to 'port forwarding' to allow remote access from the internet, so that you could check on them when away from home?
is UPnP enabled on your router?

Can you / have you - powered the cameras with an independent PoE source such as an injector, and verified normal operation of each camera?

**edit**
What's the firmware version of the NVR?
Is the new NVR the exact same model as the original one?
As a long shot - try installing the same version of firmware as is already in the NVR, either via the web GUI or USB, whichever method you are comfortable with.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Neither NVR was ever connected to a network, so no port forwarding, nor any connection to a router.

I have only checked one camera through SADP, but can definitely check the others.

Firmware v3.4.92 Build 170228

The new NVR is the exact same model as the old one.

I've never installed firmware, but I see two places in the NVR where I believe this could be done.
Under System Maintenance, I see "Upgrade", or "Import/Export". Which would be most appropriate?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Neither NVR was ever connected to a network, so no port forwarding, nor any connection to a router.
Scratch one (unlikely) theory as to possible cause.
Which makes 2 NVRs giving that same bizarre fault even more of a puzzle.
One common factor is the cameras and their wiring.
But whatever happens inside a camera PoE convertor, the NVR PoE circuitry is designed to be proof against external faults such as shorts.
Is there any way that camera ethernet wiring could have been compromised with a high voltage / do they run with or next to any mains wiring?

Under System Maintenance, I see "Upgrade",
It would be Upgrade. Import / Export is for the configuration.
That presumably therefore is via the VGA/HDMI interface, in which case the unzipped firmware file would need to be offered on a USB stick to the NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can power a camera with a 12v power supply, or active PoE injector, and give it a LAN IP address, you could check if the NVR would connect the camera by changing a channel to 'manual' instead of Plug&Play, and changing the IP address assigned to the channel to match the camera.
If that works - a PoE switch as a workaround might allow the NVR to still be usable.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In fact, the cat5 cables from all of the cameras enter the building near the breaker box for the building.
The electrical Entrance is located just on the other side of the wall. So yes, we are near some high voltage.

Tony Simmons

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was hopeful that the firmware upgrade would help, but no luck. Still getting the Overload.

The cat5 cables for all of the cameras enter the building near the electrical entrance, so there is definitely high voltage in the area.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The cat5 cables for all of the cameras enter the building near the electrical entrance, so there is definitely high voltage in the area.
Whilst it does seem unlikely that a mains intrusion could be a cause - it is plausible - I'm sure you know that you should exercise caution in checking it out.

The PoE outputs on the NVR will likely have overvoltage protection on the form of breakover devices that are designed to go short circuit under heavy overvoltage conditions, to reduce damage propagation. A long shot - but it may be worth taking the lid off and inspecting the board area by the PoE outlets.