Hikvision NVR Problem

Reaction score
I have a Hikvision 16 POE NVR I bought seven years ago that is attached to 11 Hikvision 4P EXIR Dome Cameras.

I bought the unit from Nellies so they rebranded it so I don't know the model number. It is in our condo and we work out of town so we use it to keep an eye on things when we are away.

Here is my problem:

It has been working fine for years until this week.

When I tried to log into the system it would not come up with the app. I also couldn't even get the Log in page to come up in a Web Browser.

When I got home tonight I looked at the system through my TV which is connected to the NVR's HDMI output. All the menus come up but there is no Live View from any of the cameras. I checked the Camera Menu and according to it all the cameras are online and working with no errors for any of the cameras.

The problem is there is no Live View or Playback of past events possible with the unit with any camera. Also, on every POE input on the back of the NVR that has a camera attached the amber light is blinking. And that is for every connected camera.

No settings were changed and nothing was messed with prior to it doing this. It just messed up all on its own.
I even tried a factory reset but it made no difference.

My question is does this sound like a configuration issue or does it sound more like a dead NVR?

If it sounds like I need to replace the NVR I need some advice.

I looked on Ebay and I can buy a new Hikvision 4k 16 POE NVR for around $300.00.

But there is also another guy selling a refurbished one exactly like mine for $600.00.

My question is would a new 4k unit work as well as the older one did and be compatible with my older cameras or would I be better off paying twice as much for an old one identical to the one I already have?

I can't figure out why this guy is trying to sell a 7 year old unit for twice the price of a new one unless he either thinks he can get it or he knows a newer NVR wouldn't work with older cameras.

And I don't know enough about this equipment to know if there is a reason to spend twice as much for what I already have or if a new one would work just fine.

I would really appreciate some advice with this. I know how to set a NVR up but I have no idea about compatibility issues between older cameras hooked to newer NVR's.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

PS: If there is a reason this post is being deleted please let me know why.
Thanks.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your post is not being deleted. It is flagged as spam and therefore needs to be approved. Your double post was deleted.

Reaction score
Okay,
I wasn't sure.
I thought you didn't like me mentioning prices.
Either way, it is not spam, or at least I don't think it is.
I just need some help figuring out what to do with this $7000 system I have which no longer works.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay,
I wasn't sure.
I thought you didn't like me mentioning prices.
Either way, it is not spam, or at least I don't think it is.
I just need some help figuring out what to do with this $7000 system I have which no longer works.
Certain posts get auto flagged as spam. There are many variables for this. It is done automatically with no human intervention.
Have you contacted nellys?
Try disconnecting the hard drive and see if it works.

Reaction score
Certain posts get auto flagged as spam. There are many variables for this. It is done automatically with no human intervention.
Have you contacted nellys?
Try disconnecting the hard drive and see if it works.
No, I am going to call them tomorrow.
I bought the system from them and I know they are good people but they don't sell rebranded Hikvision equipment anymore so I am not sure how enthusiastic they are going to be giving me advice knowing I am not going to be buying from them.
I will call them tomorrow and see, and I will try disconnecting the hard drive tomorrow morning.
I just wish I knew a lot more about this equipment than I do.
I wouldn't have to be asking what may be stupid questions.