Hikvision NVR Setup

Lazydog77

n3wb
Reaction score
Newbie question here. I've searched but can't find an answer to this...

Want to get some bullet cameras for home use and record to, probably a 7608. I was planning on installing the nvr in a closet. Run ethernet cables through the attic and down to the closet. Don't need to see feeds on a monitor -plan on using iPhone / iPad APPs for viewing.

I was hoping I could just plug my macbook into the nvr to 'talk' to it and do the setup that way but from what I read, the nvr has to be hooked up to an external monitor for initial setup.

Can I initially just hook the nvr to my tv and connect it to my house network - and then initialize my hard drives, get it to talk to my home network. Then unplug everything..put it in the closet..hook it up to the home network with an ethernet cable..hook up the cameras and do the rest of 'adding the cameras / configuration' via my macbook over the network?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!Yes you can setup using a tv...I will let other users confirm whether or not the hikvision plays nice with mac....

burtonvdp

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up putting it next to my computer and using the second input from my monitor. The web interface is OK but I find some things are easier to do via the GUI straight from the NVR.

That being said hooking up to a TV and configuring it should work fine.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The web interface is OK but I find some things are easier to do via the GUI straight from the NVR.
And the nvr has a few things available over the video output that are not available on the web.

Food for thought.. extend the vga and mouse (using hdmi, vga or vga to lan adaptors / usb to lan or wireless mouse)