Hikvision NVR Update Path

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, but not sure how will this help. I will sort this out these days for sure by getting face-to-face to my NVR and double check IP camera's settings, then use the NVR somehow as a gateway between the 2 subnets: the one from home 192.168.100.0/24 and the one from my cameras 192.168.254.0.24. Will post back when I'll resolve this.

Thanks a lot for your help...really fast answers here indeed.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Also, you can upgrade through IVMS-4200 as long as your cameras are connected and getting a live view. First make sure you have a fairly new version of IVMS. Next select your device under device management then click on Remote Management. Once you're there go here: 2018-07-31_0818

Reactions: trl

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got latest iVMS-4200 available on the website, but the only device available for Remote Config. would be the NVR itself, because the cameras are on the other subnet created by NVR.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Right. That remote configuration in my screenshot is the NVR itself, from there you should be able to upgrade the cameras without changing any network settings.

Reactions: trl

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
haven't got to the cameras to change their default gw,
The direct access to the cameras will not work without this change.
Easily done via Virtual Host.
Did you try Virtual Host?
No, but not sure how will this help.
Without Virtual Host active, the NVR Linux kernel will not forward network traffic between the NVR LAN interface and the NVR PoE interface.
In any case - it's a useful facility in its own right, allowing direct access to the cameras web GUI.
Enable it under NVR web GUI Advanced Network settings, then use the links at the right of NVR web GUI Camera Management page.

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ryan, I don't see any other devices in there...just the NVR itself.
Alastair, I will dig this when I'll get home later today.

Thank you all!

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
...you shouldn't see any other devices. Click Remote Config for the NVR and then go to where it shows in my screenshot.

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I somehow combined both of your recommendations and I've managed to upgrade all of my 8 IP cameras (DS-2CD2352-I).

- First I enabled "Virtual Host" from the web interface, per Alastair's reply. This seems to enable IP_FORWARD in Linux OS of the NVR.
- Second I used iVMS-4200 to connect to IP cameras and use the Device Manager > Remote Connection > System Maintenance > IPC upgrade, per Ryan's thoughts. (Seems that without enabling the Virtual Host I am unable to access Remote Connection because it was grayed out).

Now my cameras are twice more sensitive in low-light, they're actually Color instead of B/W as used to be in the past 2 years (lights on my street are not so powerful). So this new firmware is increasing camera's sensitivity, it's not only security and bugs related.

Thank you both,
Raul.