Hikvision NVR vs Blue Iris

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'll start with my problems;

• My NVR (7608NI-E2) displays event tags on playback when directly operating the NVR. I cannot see event tags when playback is through any other method; Phone with iVMS-4500 or PC with iVMS-4200 or PC through web interface.
  • My NVR supports only H264+ and I would like to upgrade that. (2 of my cameras support H265 and 2 support H265+)

That's basically it, but my first point is really the driving force here. It infuriates me that I cannot just skip through events (motion, intrusion, etc) from the previous day without loading up the monitor + mouse in the room where the NVR is located.

My solution depends on answers to some questions;
Do newer generation Hikvision NVRs solve this problem? Note that I do not need PoE function.
I'm sure Blue Iris would solve this problem as well, but that may turn out to be the most expensive solution and perhaps it would come at a cost of other features.

Attached are my products.

Attachments

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using a DS-7608NI-K2/8, and i agree with having to get the mouse out to view events directly from the NVR sucks. But as of late i've been using IVMS-4200 from my PC and have been messing around with event view from there, and its actually impressed me, I can now view every time a neighborhood cat walks across my yard :rolleyes:, or when someone rides by on a bicycle, etc. I dont know how it integrates with an older NVR, but if i go to "remote playback", then pick which camera i want to view, click the little "VCA" button above the time bar, it will ask for event type, so i choose say "intrusion detection", click the "draw area" button next to the date/time bar, plot out the area by clicking four times, then hit "search", it will pull up all events that happened in that area for the allotted time. I know its clunky, but I've decided against BI for my own reasons, and im sure BI could probably do a much better job, but I can't say for sure because i have no experience with it. And for what its worth, I only use H265 and H264 encoding, no "+" because i seem to have corrupted video when i t matters most when using the +. But H265 saves on storage space tremendously, I'm using 6 cameras (two of which dont support 265), two @ 2560*1440 (one with audio), one @ 1920*1080, one @ 2048*1536, and two @ 2688*1520, and i'm getting 13 days of storage on a 6TB HDD.
Actually, thanks to this post, ive found i can establish that intrusion area anywhere on the screen for said camera, and search and it will pull up activity in only that section.

MadamImAdam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
NVR, but if i go to "remote playback", then pick which camera i want to view, click the little "VCA" button above the time bar, it will ask for event type, so i choose say "intrusion detection"
Thanks, this actually works for me on the desktop app and I didn't know about it. I can see all intrusion events on my cameras.