Hikvision NVR with HIKvision Cameras issue.

James022

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,
i have a weird situation. My camera setup has been the same for the last 5 years, other than switching the NVR from the costco HIKvision (SWANN) to an actual Nikvision NVR. Long story short, I have one PoE camera that when network cable is plugged into the HIK NVR PoE ports, it lights up and closes every 5-7 seconds, and repeats. When I take the same cable and plug it into a regular PoE port on my local network, I am able to access the camera + view live or make changes. When I disconnect and put cable back to HIK NVR, it starts to do the same with the lights (in a loop pattern). I also went ahead and changed the setting on the NVR for short distance to long, which made the NVR PoE Port stay lite the entire time, but would not grab a IP.

What I ended up doing is, PoE camera to local PoE switch box on Port 1. Then jumped Port 2 on local PoE to HIK NVR PoE port. I tagged Port 1 & 2 on the same network that the HIK NVR POE is on. I think the default is 172.16.1.x.

If anyone could help, it would be really appreciated, as I am banging my head against the wall for hours trying to solve this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like a power issue and all your cameras are exceeded the available capacity of the NVR so it keeps trying to start and restart.

It would seem odd that an Actual Hikvision would have less power capabilities than the Swann, but one never knows. Maybe Swann upped the POE capacity due to having inferior IR in their cameras that draw more?

But that is what I would look for is the what is the POE capacity in total of the NVR and then what are the cameras pulling.

James022

n3wb
Reaction score
It sounds like a power issue and all your cameras are exceeded the available capacity of the NVR so it keeps trying to start and restart.

It would seem odd that an Actual Hikvision would have less power capabilities than the Swann, but one never knows. Maybe Swann upped the POE capacity due to having inferior IR in their cameras that draw more?

But that is what I would look for is the what is the POE capacity in total of the NVR and then what are the cameras pulling.
Thank you for prompt response. I checked the NVR PoE stats and it looks like it isn't consuming much. This is a 16 port NVR and I am only using 9. I guess a good test would be to remove one camera and leave the one that is having an issue on to see if it stays up.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one PoE camera that when network cable is plugged into the HIK NVR PoE ports, it lights up and closes every 5-7 seconds, and repeats.
Do you get the same repeat behaviour when the camera is plugged in to an unused NVR PoE port?
If not - maybe the original port is faulty and you could leave it unused.
Or change it's configuration to connect to a LAN-based camera.

PoE camera to local PoE switch box on Port 1. Then jumped Port 2 on local PoE to HIK NVR PoE port.
On the assumption that when you have the camera on the PoE switch, you have assigned it a LAN address in the same segment as the NVR LAN interface -

Instead of the extra cable, and PoE switch config, you could set the NVR PoE channel to directly use the camera on the PoE switch.
Change the NVR PoE channel mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play, and set the IP address to match that of the camera on the PoE switch.

James022

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you get the same repeat behaviour when the camera is plugged in to an unused NVR PoE port?
If not - maybe the original port is faulty and you could leave it unused.
Or change it's configuration to connect to a LAN-based camera.

On the assumption that when you have the camera on the PoE switch, you have assigned it a LAN address in the same segment as the NVR LAN interface -

Instead of the extra cable, and PoE switch config, you could set the NVR PoE channel to directly use the camera on the PoE switch.
Change the NVR PoE channel mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play, and set the IP address to match that of the camera on the PoE switch.
Thank you for the reply.

Yes the port does the same on different ports on the nvr.

I will try to add it manually with the same ip and see if it does anything.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the port does the same on different ports on the nvr.
I think that lets the NVR out in terms of the likely cause of the problem, unless the NVR 48V PoE supply is running under spec.
Speculation - maybe the under-voltage lockout in the camera PoE interface circuit is just on the edge of triggering when on the NVR, and not being triggered on the PoE switch.

I will try to add it manually with the same ip and see if it does anything.
The camera should be configured with an IP address in the same range as is used on the NVR LAN interface in order to re-use the NVR PoE channel for a logical connection to a LAN-based camera.

James022

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. I was able to get it by IPing and setting to manual. On another note, I got on the ladder and twisted the 7YR camera and was able to see why it was disconnecting. I also bought a POE dummy switch for the future.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. I was able to get it by IPing and setting to manual. On another note, I got on the ladder and twisted the 7YR camera and was able to see why it was disconnecting. I also bought a POE dummy switch for the future.
If you have a Poe injector, power the camera with that and then run it to your NVR. That should quickly let you know if your NVR is not supplying enough power.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of POE injectors on a couple of my PTZ cameras as they draw a little too much power and would drop out from time to time. These are Hikvision NVR's. With the POE Injectors I have not had a problem.