HikVision NVR with only Ethernet input

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one HikVision NVR with 4 POE ports, 4 cameras, one 4 port POE switch. Right now all my cameras connect directly into my NVR (located in my basement) via Cat 6 Ethernet cable. I want to relocate the NVR to my entertainment stand (upstairs), so I can watch on my 65" 4k TV. Is this possible, where only one Ethernet cable connects to my NVR? In other words, my cameras will terminate in the switch in the basement, instead of the NVR. I will just grab an Ethernet cable near my entertainment stand and plug it into the NVR, which is now up stairs.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to relocate the NVR to my entertainment stand (upstairs), so I can watch on my 65" 4k TV. Is this possible, where only one Ethernet cable connects to my NVR? In other words, my cameras will terminate in the switch in the basement, instead of the NVR
Yes, this works OK.
What's required is to change the camera IP addresses to match your LAN, and then in the NVR web GUI change the IP addresses of the NVR PoE channels to match, away from their default 192.168.254.x values. The channels should be set in Manual mode, instead of Plug&Play.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, this works OK.
What's required is to change the camera IP addresses to match your LAN, and then in the NVR web GUI change the IP addresses of the NVR PoE channels to match, away from their default 192.168.254.x values. The channels should be set in Manual mode, instead of Plug&Play.
Thank you, I thought I had read that it could be done. Glad you confirmed it.. Was going to extend the HDMI and USB cables, but this makes more sense........

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way - the assumption is that you have 3 cameras, the 4-port switch presumably requiring that one port is used as an uplink port.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, got the 4 cameras working by using my Trendnet 5 port Gigabit PoE+ Switch (TPE-TG50G). Wasn't too bad to setup for this old, simple minded person. I do have two or three issues.......

1) I can only select 2 cams for the multi screen (should be 4). Same thing when the cameras were connected directly to the NVR. Using my Computer connecting via the web browser, I get 4 thumbnails, same for using the iVMS-4500 HD app on my Android devices.

2) I am connected to my Samsung 4k, 65" TV, via a 4 port HDMI switch. This is a new HDMI switch and each time I change inputs, a thumbnail pops up showing what is connected to the other 3 HDMI ports. Normally, these thumb nails only popup when changing inputs and only stay on the screen about 30 seconds. Now, the NVR is causing the thumb nails to be constantly poping in and out. Something from the NVR is **loosing** connection to the HDMI switch to cause this issue. None of my other devices connected to this HDMI switch cause this problem.

3) There are more settings using the Internet Explorer browser to connect to the NVR verses direct connection.... baffling.

0605181314.jpg 0605181315.jpg 0605181315b.jpg0605181316.jpg

Video clip of what I am talking about, Dropbox link.

misc items

Last edited:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
In your nvr what is the maximum output of the nvr have you adjusted it for maximum output on hdmi

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In your nvr what is the maximum output of the nvr have you adjusted it for maximum output on hdmi
It was set for 720 at that time, I believe, but since it was annoying, I moved devices around so I could connect it directly to my 4k TV. So, solved that problem of those HDMI Switch thumbnails, driving me nuts. NOW, have a different problem, everytime I turn the system off or even select a different input on the TV, and go back to the NVR, it has the screen to log in so I can finish turning off the NVR...........

I still don't how to get all 4 of my cams on one screen, it olny allows for 2, but 2 place holders.........

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t run out of the nvr via hdmi
But on your computer can you pull up the nvrs IP address and log in
And navigate to system-systems settings menu output and select auto
And select the maximum hdmi it will allow and the maximum vga it will allow
Hit save the go to maintenance and hit reboot

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t run out of the nvr via hdmi
But on your computer can you pull up the nvrs IP address and log in
And navigate to system-systems settings menu output and select auto
And select the maximum hdmi it will allow and the maximum vga it will allow
Hit save the go to maintenance and hit reboot
Yes, I was able to set the NVR to 4k video, thanks.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I made a video showing what issues I am having with my HikVision NVR connected to my TV......... Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can't help re a 4k TV but I used to have my 7608NI-E2 connected on HDMI to the TV and it never wanted to shutdown on switching input. Is it possibly the IR remote you are using sending a code that the NVR detects as a shutdown instruction? (not even sure the Hik does that tho). Also a possible is the HDMI, as that can do 2-way communication so it may be sending a quench/shutdown signal from the TV on channel switching.

Might be worth putting in the post which NVR model you have, its more recent than mine for sure if it is 4K capable, mine only goes to 1080P as its a few years old now. Not sure if its a resource limit issue in terms of the number of streams it can handle decoding for at 4K, does it work for all 4 channels if you set the output to HDMI@1080P?

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can't help re a 4k TV but I used to have my 7608NI-E2 connected on HDMI to the TV and it never wanted to shutdown on switching input. Is it possibly the IR remote you are using sending a code that the NVR detects as a shutdown instruction? (not even sure the Hik does that tho). Also a possible is the HDMI, as that can do 2-way communication so it may be sending a quench/shutdown signal from the TV on channel switching.

Might be worth putting in the post which NVR model you have, its more recent than mine for sure if it is 4K capable, mine only goes to 1080P as its a few years old now. Not sure if its a resource limit issue in terms of the number of streams it can handle decoding for at 4K, does it work for all 4 channels if you set the output to HDMI@1080P?
Thanks for those suggestions. When my NVR (NVR M/N DS-7604NI-K1/4P) was in the basement, I had a 1080p TV connected to which was set at 720p resolution, and I could only get 2*2 also.

I tried to make sure the remote was not the cause it trying to shut down, so I don't think that is the cause. I double checked the settings in the TV, could not "see" any settings that would cause it (my CEC settings are always turned off). When this NVR was connected to my HDMI switch, going to the 4k TV, it did not have this issue either, only while connected directly to the TV........

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did you get all 4 cameras showing when it was in the basement on the 1080P tv?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lower the substream settings on those 2 cameras that you are not seeing on the 2x2 view. Put them at the same resolution as the other two cameras that do show up.

(when you watch a camera full screen, it shows you the main stream, when you switch to a 2x2 view, it shows the substreams; if they are an unsupported resolution, they will not show up)

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But i can make ANY of those 4 cameras show up....... just only 2 at a time. I made sure all 4 had the same settings for the subchannel.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh wait, NO RESOURCE message error. And you are using 4K HDMI output, which probably means that when watching 2x2 they are using the main streams, not the sub streams.

What resolution and bitrates are your cameras? You are above the max decoding specs your NVR can do. Not sure if there is any setting to force the substreams when yoiu are doing 2x2 on 4K output.

(when you are using iVMS @ 7:09 you are watching the sub streams)