HIKvision NVR with playback transcoding support?

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having a hard time finding information on what HIKvision NVRs support transcoded playback (not transcoded recording). (i.e. I record at 1080p/4Mbps but need mobile recorded playback access at 360p/512Kbps). From a Youtube video it looks like the 9xxx series have support, but I've seen some hints that the 7716NI-SP/16 does as well.

Can anyone confirm the 7716NI-SP/16 can transcode recoded playback so that I can get reduced bandwidth streams via the mobile app? If so, that looks to be exactly what I need.

Thanks!!!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's an old model so I wouldn't buy that if you don't already have an NVR.

Can you not transcode it on your PC?

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
It's an old model so I wouldn't buy that if you don't already have an NVR.

Can you not transcode it on your PC?
Well, I'm not too concerned about the age if it will do what I want. :) (Can get very good pricing on HIKvision through work) I do want to go with an embedded NVR w/ built-in PoE if possible though. I've used their DS-7616NI-E2/16P at another location which has worked well, but lacks playback transcoding.

As for transcoding on PC, I'm looking to do this on-the-fly for fast remote access to recordings via mobile app. Basically having all the local recording done in 1080p but transcoding to much lower res/bitrate when accessing recording remotely. Not just transcoding exports. But maybe I'm misunderstanding your suggestion. Are you talking about just going with full PC/software based NVR?

Thanks!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can record the substream at the same time and set that to 360p/512Kbps.

You can do that on the DS-7616NI-E2/16P too, so you can try on that.

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
Really?! That I'll love to try out with the 7616, but don't remember seeing an option. Could you point me in the right direction? I can see split options for Main Stream (Normal) and Main Stream (Event). Are you talking about using that in some way, or is there really a way to record both the Main Stream and Substream at the same time?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a 7716NI-ST that does transcoding, so 7716NI-SP should do it too (same model with POE ports).

With current firmwares I also do think that you can record both main and substream on 76xx models, I have seen the option a few times. But I wouldn't know how to choose which stream to playback from iVMS-4500 (haven't looked for it).

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a 7716NI-ST that does transcoding, so 7716NI-SP should do it too (same model with POE ports).
Thanks. Just to clarify, you see the following transcoding capability on the Playback screen of the Web UI with your 7716? (Or like a selection option for the transcoded stream you can configure.)

How to transcode playback Hikvision video - YouTube 2016-06-20 09-51-34.png

With current firmwares I also do think that you can record both main and substream on 76xx models, I have seen the option a few times. But I wouldn't know how to choose which stream to playback from iVMS-4500 (haven't looked for it).
Hmm. I still haven't seen how to simultaneously record the substream on the 7616 yet, but am still hunting. :peaceful:

In the iVMS-4500 Playback section there is an "Image Quality" button to select the stream quality, similar to the live section:

IMG_7318.PNG

But only the "clear" (main stream) option works with my 7616. Choosing "custom" results in that "Not supported by device" option you see in the image. If I can figure out how to record the substream also, maybe I'd have access to another option, I'm not sure. :peaceful: But in the end I'm just looking for the cheapest HIK NVR option (with 16 port PoE) that would support a low bandwidth stream in there, rather that just the main stream I'm recording.

Thanks for the info!

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
It's under video/audio. Enable Channel zero-recording.
Oh... I already have that enabled, but it just offers a single low bandwidth live view of *all* the cameras together (grid) from what I've seen. At least on my 7616.

Thanks!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you want individual you need to log in with a monitor and mouse to the NVR Gui.

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
Very interesting, I'll try that tonight when I'm at the unit. Thanks!

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
Very interesting, I'll try that tonight when I'm at the unit. Thanks!
Well I checked out the manual and the channel-zero options I see via iVMS 4200 (desktop). Even if I set it to 1*1 working mode, it just supplies a reduced bandwidth live feed for one camera it seems. Will check the actual unit tonight to see if there are other options, but the manual seems to say it's real-time only and literally adding a single (channel 0) camera with reduced bandwith with a split as you configure.

HIKVision support also got back to me and said:

"Unfortunately, you can have one or the other. Main stream recording only, or sub stream only."

So it seems like I'm back to just knowing transcoding recoded streams on the fly is possible via the web interface from a 9xxx series. As that YouTube video is the only confirmation I have so far. :)

The hunt continues...

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
In case someone reads this thread in the future. I just got access to a 7716NI-SP/16 that a customer has, and it does support on-the-fly transcoding of recorded material on playback via the Web interface and iVMS 5400 (iPhone). :nuts: Could not see how to choose a transcoded stream for playback on the desktop iVMS 4200 or iVMS 4500 HD (iPad) though.

Thanks everyone...

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. Just to clarify, you see the following transcoding capability on the Playback screen of the Web UI with your 7716? (Or like a selection option for the transcoded stream you can configure.)

View attachment 11481
Yes, it is there. Good to know!

In case someone reads this thread in the future. I just got access to a 7716NI-SP/16 that a customer has, and it does support on-the-fly transcoding of recorded material on playback via the Web interface and iVMS 5400 (iPhone). :nuts: Could not see how to choose a transcoded stream for playback on the desktop iVMS 4200 or iVMS 4500 HD (iPad) though.
iVMS-4500 HD has not been updated in ages and I think it is no longer in development. iVMS-4500 is the way to go.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just for your info; it is also there in iVMS-4200, it can also be done. Just playback any channel you want, right click on the channel for a popup menu, and choose "transcoding playback".
Using iVMS-4200 v2.5.0.3, don't know about previous versions.
:)

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
iVMS-4500 HD has not been updated in ages and I think it is no longer in development. iVMS-4500 is the way to go.
Yeah, it definitely feels dated in comparison. I wish they would bring a tablet app up to speed though. I can tell you iVMS-4500 HD is also pretty broken in iOS 10 beta right now, so they will have to make some decision about it. :)

Just for your info; it is also there in iVMS-4200, it can also be done. Just playback any channel you want, right click on the channel for a popup menu, and choose "transcoding playback". Using iVMS-4200 v2.5.0.3, don't know about previous versions. :)
Luck you.. :) I should have mentioned I'm on Mac desktop version. I had tried right clicking, but no joy -- maybe someday.

Thanks..

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you are just supposed to use iVMS-4500 on tablets right now. iVMS-4500 HD doesn't make much sense any more, it did when iVMS-4500 had the old interface and only supported 4 channels.

iVMS-4200 for Mac is also always quite outdated compared to the Windows version. So hopefully it will come to Mac sometime in the future.

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just for your info; it is also there in iVMS-4200, it can also be done. Just playback any channel you want, right click on the channel for a popup menu, and choose "transcoding playback".
Using iVMS-4200 v2.5.0.3, don't know about previous versions.
:)
And where do I find the 4200? I cannot locate it.
Also, referring to another post on the iVMS-4500, the Apple Store has only the 4500-HD which I have on my iPad, I do not see an option for 4500.

Moonshine

n3wb
Reaction score
And where do I find the 4200? I cannot locate it.
You can download the iVMS-4200 desktop software from HIKvision directly: http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Tools_84.html

Also, referring to another post on the iVMS-4500, the Apple Store has only the 4500-HD which I have on my iPad, I do not see an option for 4500.
I noticed it wasn't coming up via search on the iPad today also, even when selecting "iPhone only" for the search. If you happen to have an iPhone also and download it on there, you'll be able to get to it on your iPad to download via "Purchases" though. At least that's what I did.

iVMS-4500 does feel more polished/modern than iVMS-4500 HD and has some extra features like the transcoding support, but the HD app does make better use of the screen on the iPad and offers some interesting layout for 5+ cameras. Would be nice if they just gave it some attention.

Guzz226

n3wb
Reaction score
You can download the iVMS-4200 desktop software from HIKvision directly: http://overseas.hikvision.com/us/Tools_84.html

I noticed it wasn't coming up via search on the iPad today also, even when selecting "iPhone only" for the search. If you happen to have an iPhone also and download it on there, you'll be able to get to it on your iPad to download via "Purchases" though. At least that's what I did.

iVMS-4500 does feel more polished/modern than iVMS-4500 HD and has some extra features like the transcoding support, but the HD app does make better use of the screen on the iPad and offers some interesting layout for 5+ cameras. Would be nice if they just gave it some attention.
The only app in the Apple App Store is the iVMS-4500 - the others mentioned in this thread don't appear in the App Store.

Trying this app I get the error "Abnormal remote playback" when I try to lower the quality in the app - any ideas what needs to be done to address this?