Hikvision NVR's DHCP network lease time

techie007

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is Hikvision NVR's DHCP network lease time? This is not shown in the

interface nor manual and I noticed that cameras that have been configured with dynamic IP

address and changed admin password will lose connection after a day or two.

The "illegal login" email message will be triggered, the "Offline (parameter error)" message can

be seen in the web interface and attempt to login will result with the message "The account is

locked, please try again 20 minutes later."

Apparently, the NVR's DHCP service is trying to renew the dynamic IP address of the camera using

the default admin password, resulting in disconnection, illegal login and self-denial of
service.

Anyone experienced the same problem using Hikvision NVR with it's cameras (configured with dynamic IP and changed admin password)? Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the (unspecified) Hikvision NVR does not have a DHCP service.
It's fair to say that on PoE ports set to 'Plug & Play' the NVR does assign a fixed IP address to the connected cameras, but that's not DHCP, it's just one of many items the NVR configures on the camera.

A normal DHCP service, such as on your router, does not require any authentication, it does not rely on nor use IDs and passwords.
But - if you have configured any cameras with a DHCP address issued by your router, and specified that specific initially assigned address in the NVR configuration, if for any reason the router does not re-assign the same address at lease renewal you will certainly get an 'offline' status in the NVR.
Usually a router DHCP service will re-assign what was previously leased when expiry nears, but this is not guaranteed.

Can I suggest, assuming these are LAN-based cameras as opposed to PoE connected cameras, that you assign a fixed address to one or more cameras (maybe using SADP) and confirm that the problem goes away?

techie007

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm using NVR DS-7608NI-SE /P with 4 POE ports. Yes, The way the NVR behaves is really misleading - it seems to assign IP addresses dynamically like a DHCP server but yet requires authentification with the attached cameras before it can successfully connect to them. Hence anyone who has changed the cameras' default admin password and using the dynamically assigned IP will be in for a surprise after a day or two when the IP is about to expire.*

After much hassle, I managed to change all my cameras to use fixed IP last night together with the SADP tool. All seem well until this morning when I received an email alert on a Conflicted IP with my NVR. This is puzzling as none of cameras are having the same IP address as my NVR with fixed IP. The rest of my network devices are all having reserved IP based on their MAC addresses and all are having unique addresses.*

Anyone experience similar problem?*

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
it seems to assign IP addresses dynamically like a DHCP server but yet requires authentification with the attached cameras before it can successfully connect to them
The network settings that the NVR applies to the camera on PoE ports are fixed, and do not expire and are just one of many configuration items that are applied to the camera, for example resolution, frame rate, image quality, display settings, OSD etc
The NVR is managing the cameras - and configuration of the settings does require authentication, that normal and expected.
But if you are using SADP to configure your camera's IP settings I'm guessing that the cameras are on your normal LAN, and the DHCP server is on your router. The NVR does not provide a DHCP service.

The rest of my network devices are all having reserved IP based on their MAC addresses
Were the camera and NVR IP addresses that you assigned in the same range as your DHCP pool?
If so, you could well at some point get an address conflict.
It just needs a device without a reservation to come up on the network and be assigned a pool address, for example a visiting phone or tablet etc.