Hikvision NVR's player.exe malmware

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I download video files from Hikvision NVR, it automatically adds player.exe to the folder. For some reason, antivirus software recognizes it as malmware. Does this happen to others and is there a real threat?

The player itself is good for one purpose: it plays audio. For some reason VLC or other players do not play audio from hikvision cameras (external mic).

toysareforboys

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I download video from my hikvision NVR the sound also doesn't play in VLC player but it plays perfectly in MPC-HC.

-Jamie M.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For some reason, antivirus software recognizes it as malmware
Odd. What antivirus, and what strain does it claim it is?
Does this happen to others and is there a real threat?
I have never seen this.
Nor have I seen player.exe downloaded with videos.

It might be interesting to drop a copy of player.exe (assuming the AV allows you to do this without temporarily disabling it ...) on to VirusTotal to see what the 70 plus AV scanners on there think of it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Screenshot-2018-1-15 VirusTotal.png
looking pretty bad i guess
Interesting! It does look like Hikvision have some trojan-like code in the player.

Here is a scan of the player.exe from the NVR_K51_BL_ML_STD_V3.4.96_170921 firmware.
It's the same file in the K41 version and also several earlier firmware versions.
It might be interesting to contact Hikvision's Cyber Security team for comment ...
I might just do that.