Hikvision Playback and Motion Blur

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed a temporary DS-2CD2342WD-I quickly to an 8ch Hikvision NVR to catch a suspicious vehicle driving up and down a lane for a friend.

On playback, I was surprised to find that I couldn't read the cars registration plate and it was difficult to identify the exact model of the car.

It was like motion blur. Out of focus. I paused it and played it back in slow motion but all a blur.

Is there some setting in the camera I need to change to avoid this blur?

I hid the camera in a tree at the side of the lane facing down it so I could record both front and back plates up close but useless. It's like it couldn't focus on a moving object.

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm only speculating and don't know a whole lot myself, but I'm thinking maybe there's something going on with your frame rates.

I know with low frame rates, fast moving objects such as cars will appear blurry. I was able to correct this issue by setting my frame rates to 20-30 fps.

This is all assuming you've set your frame rates low. If you have high frame rates, then I'm certainly not experienced/qualified enough to answer your question.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Certainly frame rates / exposure values, especially in low-light conditions. Usually best left at auto unless being specifically set for number plate capture.
But also high values of DNR will cause blurring and ghosting, even in daytime video.

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never changed any settings. Straight out of the box. Car I wanted to capture was during daylight.

I will have to tweak and test and possibly stick up another camera somewhere to get a head on capture.

bambi123

n3wb
Reaction score
It is not frame rate which causes motion blur - the minimum shutter rate (or exposure time in Hikvision language) effects this, depending on the relative speed of the object across the field of view of the camera you will need a minimum shutter speed of 1/100 to maybe 1/500.

For my street view cameras, I have mine set at 1/150 which I find gives me clear views of plates, but very fast moving cars can still end up with blurred plates and I would need to move down to 1/300 to capture them - but at such a short shutter speed the Hikvision cameras cannot capture enough light to give a good image (especially on an overcast day!).