HikVision security cameras with Dahua DVR

trtiich

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in a bit of a trouble here. I am a manager of a local cafe and we have five preinstalled HikVision security cameras (analog I think since the only cable coming from each camera is coaxial) and I need a DVR in order to use them. I can't buy a HikVision DVR where I live, no one sells it anymore. Is there a way for me to buy a Dahua 8 channel DVR/NVR and connect these HikVision cameras and connect them to this Dahua DVR? I don't even know if it will work and I can't afford to buy a DVR that will not work.

Thank you in advance, looking for a quick reply.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way for me to buy a Dahua 8 channel DVR/NVR and connect these HikVision cameras and connect them to this Dahua DVR?
In order to answer your question, some more details are required.

There are multiple analogue standards in use - so what camera works with what DVR depends on the camera model and the analogue standard it uses, and whether that matches the capabilities of a DVR model.
Start with specifying the camera models.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
As Alastair indicates the exact model number(s) of the cams would help determine best way forward...

cheapest option may be to try a generic 'hybrid' unit like this one:
US $28.51 40% OFF|BESDER 4 Channel 8 Channel AHD DVR Surveillance Security CCTV Recorder DVR 4CH 720P / 8CH 1080N Hybrid DVR For Analog AHD IP|dvr 4ch|dvr surveillancedvr hybrid - AliExpress
the 8 port unit supports various analog formats.

one issue may be how the cams are powered.
is there no 12V connection attached or in parallel with the coax?

trtiich

n3wb
Reaction score
There are no number or letters on the cameras themselves since they are a bit scuffed and the outer plastic housing is pretty scratched up, but thankfully the glass and the lens are perfectly fine. You can just barely see "HikVision" at the bottom. They are dome with glass enclosure. To be perfectly honest, I only see four cameras and five coax cables, maybe one of them is for power, but where do I plug in that power coax cable. Do DVRs come with four connectors for the cameras and the fifth for power or do I need an 8 channel DVR now?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you really need to identify the cameras and how they are powered to find the right solution... is there a separate power input to each cam? or perhaps the cable is 'structured', carrying a separate power line along withe coax taht is injected somewhere alone the way between the DVR location and the cameras?