Hikvision Setup - Motion Alerts to phone + Continuous Recording.

SCGH

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I have just had a Hikvision system installed... and I am struggling to setup the alerts they way I want them. The instructions confuse me more than they help. Please help me!

On my Windows Computer, I am running IVMS-4200 v2.3.4.16
I am also running the latest version of IVMS-4200 (lite) on my iPhone
I have 5 cameras.

What I want is:
  1. I want my system to record continuously (I have a 3TB hard drive).
  2. But I want also markers, so that I can easily review the (motion detected) events recorded
  3. I want my iPhone to list the the events so I can easily review them when away from home

What I currently have setup is:
  1. My system records continuously, which is perfect
  2. My system does not show event markers in the timeline, but there is a window on the right listing the events
  3. My iphone shows a notification message of the event
  4. However, in the Alarm section of the iPhone app, the events are not listed! The only way to see the events is to click on the notification message, which opens the app and the event is then listed in the Alarm section
How can I setup my system so that I can access continuous recordings as well as motion detected events, especially on my iphone?

Another thing I am confused about - Alarm Input
  • My events are configured (schedule, trigger channel, trigger action, etc) on the "Camera alert" tab as well as the arming region.
  • But there is also and 'Alarm Input' tab and this again has the schedule, trigger channel, trigger action, etc.
  • Why would you use the 'Alarm Input' tab? And what is 'Normal Open' and 'Normal Closed'?
Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would you use the 'Alarm Input' tab? And what is 'Normal Open' and 'Normal Closed'?
You would use this if you wanted an external sensor such as a PIR motion detector, window switch, floor pad etc to trigger some NVR action such as recording.
It's the same arrangement as the PIR detectors or window switches in a burglar alarm feeding into the alarm control panel.
Usually the alarm source would be 2 wires from a relay contact.
'Normally Open' would mean that in a non-triggered state the contacts would be open (circuit).
'Normally closed' would mean that in a non-triggered state the contacts would be closed. This would also mean that if the wires were cut, ie opened, that would be considered to be an alarm trigger.

SCGH

n3wb
Reaction score
You would use this if you wanted an external sensor such as a PIR motion detector, window switch, floor pad etc to trigger some NVR action such as recording.
Thanks Alastair. That clears up that one.

Does any one have any idea about the how can I setup my system so that I can access continuous recordings as well as motion detected events, especially on my iphone?

TaxExempt

n3wb
Reaction score
I am currently setting up a new Hikvision system and I am going through the same disgust. My previous old Q-See system would allow me to search all the motion evens on the cameras nice and neatly on a timeline, which would keep all the cameras in sync when selecting each event on the timeline.

Hikvision does not appear to let you do this. Instead it has some event "list" bullshit.

Should have gone with Dahua.

SCGH

n3wb
Reaction score
I contacted Hikvision about this in early Dec. The app should list the events in the same way the deskop program does. Hikvision UK acknowledged that there is a bug with the app not listing the events, and have reported it to the tech team in China. This missed the latest release, but should be in an upcoming release in the New Year.

So that takes care of the app issue.

As for listing the events as markers on the timeline - that is not, nor will be a feature of Hikvision it seems. But using the event list, you can still use it the same way, its just not as user-friendly.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

TaxExempt

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR on current firmware does this, both via the web GUI and the VGA/HDMI interface, which has had it for a while.
A few posts on the topic.
Example:
Updated NVR firmware published - NVR_78_79_EXX_V3.4.80_160718.zip
Dahua vs HikVision
Looks like the fix requires using non USA firmware. This is simply not something I wan to get into. I bought my unit from a legitimate US Distributor so in case I run into trouble, I would get support. Last thing I want to do is start messing with firmware.

Unfortunately this has ruined Hikvision's image in my eyes forever. I truly loved my Q-See system and I think I should have gone with Dahua to begin with. Will be sending this back for store credit.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought my unit from a legitimate US Distributor so in case I run into trouble, I would get support.
Looks like the fix requires using non USA firmware.This is simply not something I wan to get into.
The Hikvision US website (or even the FTP portal) is always very slow at publishing current firmware.
Maybe the support would supply you the firmware direct, to save the hassle of RMAing., shipping and purchasing new.
Just a thought ...

TaxExempt

n3wb
Reaction score
The Hikvision US website (or even the FTP portal) is always very slow at publishing current firmware.
Maybe the support would supply you the firmware direct, to save the hassle of RMAing., shipping and purchasing new.
Just a thought ...
Called them up

Their "fix" for the slow GUI problem was to lower all the framerates to 8FPS

I was told I have the latest firmware and that 3.4.80 doesn't exist

She wouldn't help me any further unless I was an "installer by trade"

Definitely sending this back

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's a very very poor response, they clearly haven't a clue.
You should be able to use any combination of framerates you want, and certainly not be limited to 8fps.
There is 3.4.80 and 3.4.82 and 3.4.90 firmware everywhere except Hikvision US.
At least you tried, and they lost a customer, maybe more than one.