HikVision SMB/CIFS Issues - A Summary of Fixes

jakubat

n3wb
Reaction score
HI everyone,

I'm struggling with my hikvision camera network share configuration. Following the first post advice I made some initial steps:

1) Prepared dedicated .img files with ext4 filesystem and fixed size (50GB each, all located on a Ubuntu 18.04 server). Images were created according to this article
2) The images are mounted and shared in my local network (samba share with a dedicated user "cam"
3) I took care of permissions and access rights: the "cam" user owns all image files and mounted shares (owner + group) on the server, permissions are set to 774.

It looks like the user and access right is OK. As I press "Test" it creates a directory called "test" which is a confirmation of successful connection.

* camera network drive access settings:
1589135787096.png
* after I press "test"
1589135915312.png
* the directory "test" created despite the error. I'm aware that I need to remove it manually to initialize the drive.
1589135964734.png

* As mentioned the directory should be ~50GB
1589136645494.png

* but according to the camera software it's not...

1589136748027.png

* In my opinion this causes following error:

1589136830532.png

I have no idea what could went wrong between user authentication and disc initialization...
I'd appreciate your support!

Reaction score
The test file is not a directory, at least in my experience. For your screen shot of the HDD Management page, are you referring to HDD No. 9 being 109 GB vs the 49 GB indicated in the terminal window?

jakubat

n3wb
Reaction score
For some wired reason the camera software sees a wrong size of the image I've selected. It should have about 50GB (my intention).

Roxana31

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello! my camera hikvision model ds-2cd2047g1 it came with factory firmware 5.5.84_19082 I have an asus RT-N18U smb router it works perfectly with a 160Gb ext3 hard drive in the usb socket to share with this camera model the problem is after the firmware update at the hikvision smb camera it doesn't work anymore does anyone know a solution to work with the new firmware version?

Roxana31

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed on several ip camera models from hikvision after the smb firmware update on the asus router the camera no longer works the camera no longer sees the hard drive can no longer connect to it does anyone know what's going on they changed the smb version on hikvision cameras it no longer works via smb

tzwizard

n3wb
Reaction score
bump to this, noticed the same thing w/ my SMB attached HDD via USB to RT-N66W

blue66

n3wb
Reaction score
- * NOTE: This limitation may be able to be overcome by using the '525 NAS Patch' (origins unknown) which can be found here. While I have installed this patch, I haven't tested it beyond my 249GB recording drive, but there are reports of others using this successfully with up to 4TB drives.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. It seems helpful but I still can’t figure out my problem. Three things:

1. the link above (to 525 NAS Patch) is broken. My HDD is 4TB so it seems I need this patch!
2. I have a Raspberry Pi set up as Samba NAS. How can I tell if is is SMB v1 or 2 ?
3. Does it matter what file format I use on my hard drive?

Last edited:

Roxana31

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. It seems helpful but I still can’t figure out my problem. Three things:

1. the link above (to 525 NAS Patch) is broken. My HDD is 4TB so it seems I need this patch!
2. I have a Raspberry Pi set up as Samba NAS. How can I tell if is is SMB v1 or 2 ?
3. Does it matter what file format I use on my hard drive?
Hello! I don't know if it matters what kind of files you have on the hard drive, I formatted ext3 and it has been working perfectly for several months

MK_vs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for the very helpful advice on Hikvision cameras.

I would like to run an IP camera on a VHD in Windows 10 Pro.

I created a virtual disk for recording with a Hikvision camera DS-2CD2T43G0-I5 in the W10 Pro system.
Test size 50GB or 500GB, MBR format, NTFS. I also tried GPT, also without activation success, see below.
I activated the disk, connected it as another disk, set the auto connection after startup, shared + accesses and rights.
Within the Hikvision cameras, the VHD was successfully mounted and wanted to activate - format.
However, the format does not work. "Formatting Disk Failed" error message.

Please does anyone have experience how to correctly format VHD for Hikvision cameras?

Thank you all for any help.
MK

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

SamboNZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update on the link in my original post (which I am unable to edit for some reason).

You can find the 5.2.5 NAS Patch here.

Last edited:

SamboNZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. This may be a stupid question but do I need this patch for firmware 5.5.82 ?
No, not a stupid question, I should have written '5.2.5' to make that more clear.
Since you're on a version newer than 5.2.5 you won't need to install that specific patch.

Reaction score
Yeah, after I switched from using my Mac to using my ASUS router (Linux) as an SMB server, its been smooth sailing. I've been able to mount any size volume I want, but so far, I think the largest volume I've tried is 512 GB.

blue66

n3wb
Reaction score
I am unfortunately new here but here I have managed to use a 1.8 terabyte hard drive for 4 drives used by hikvision. I run ubuntu server and it works perfectly now, but it was difficult.
I’m interested to know if you had to partition into 4 separate drives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk