Hikvision Snapshot rate

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to change the value of the actual camera on the time between shap shots. Seems like the Hikvision take snapshots every 10secs and would like to chance that to 5 secs if possible.

Camera in question: DS-2CD2T45FWD

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much ! that is exactly what I was looking at - the question would be does it store it on the camera (not connected yet to a NAS), does it then override the ones its taken a snapshot of?

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
The capture schedule is set to continuous it doesn't let me edit it or edit the time in each schedule. i.e I can't set time slots. Its not really an issue as I want it to always take snapshots. Is that normal?
I have also setup a NAS connection to a folder but it is not showing any images. I did the test on the NAS and it was successful, would it not be storing the files there?

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just a question regarding the snapshots. It seems to be working with:
  1. Setting the Scheduled - works
  2. Saving the snapshots to a NAS. - works
  3. Confirmed that there are saved files on the NAS
Here is the issue - I see the folder growing and it is growing with a number of files and folders in the root of the specified folder on the NAS are:
  1. datadirX folders where X represents a number 0,1,2, etc
  2. There is one info.bin file.
Inside a datadirX folder there are:
  1. MP4 files - which no video player can open or view says it is corrupt i.e VLC, Windows Player. The files are named hiv0000X.mp4 but they are all of 0KB
  2. There are a bunch of .pic files which are of size 0KB as well
  3. Then there are two additional files - logCurFile.bin, logMainFile.bin
Question:
  1. The root folder is growing exponentially however the files growing are the .bin files with the .pic
  2. How do I actually view the .pic files and the .mp4 files
  3. Since the folder is growing at a rate, is there some sort of scavenging service that cleans up the older files so that there isn't a massive growth on the folder?

Really appreciate the advise

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The root folder is growing exponentially however the files growing are the .bin files with the .pic
Hikvision use their own layout scheme with indexes and consolidated files to store the data and metadata.
How do I actually view the .pic files and the .mp4 files
Via the Playback facilities or the Download facilities of the NVR or camera.
Although there are some user-written tool that can extract the files.
Since the folder is growing at a rate, is there some sort of scavenging service that cleans up the older files so that there isn't a massive growth on the folder?
If 'Overwrite' is set, older files are re-written.

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much. So there is no other way other than Hikvision propitiatory software to view the images. This really sucks.

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you both for the response
Securame & Alastair - So here is my issue, my home automation system (control4) gets snapshots from the cameras for its interface into the camera. I was thinking that it would get the snapshots quicker if I enabled it for a quicker refresh. Since its a. not storing it in any form or fashion that any other can easily use it thats out the window. b. I appreciate the FTP and will set that up but that wont help the control4 home automation system as its expecting to pull these directly from the camera

Not sure if that makes sense

mycamrocks

n3wb
Reaction score
That is actually a great idea you mean this one: /Streaming/channels/101/picture if it is that one I have tried it and still every 10 sec or so. Its a great idea because if it is an issue still then I can take out the camera and focus on dealing with it with the home automation team.