Hikvision takes up to 48 hours to come online after power reset

blk

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why a Hikvision DS-2DE3304W-DE IP camera takes up to 48 hours to come online after a power reset. The RTSP, HTTPS & Server ports are correctly configured and forwarded on the router. The latest versions of both the SADP tool and IVMS-4200 can see the camera, but I get timeout errors if I try to do any configuration, use Live View, etc. via IVMS-4200. I also get timeout errors if I try to ping the camera's IP address or if I try to access the camera via a browser (I've tried IE, FireFox & Chrome). What seems to work is to "do nothing" for about 48 hours, whereupon the camera magically comes online and all is well until the next power reset. Clearly something is wrong, but I have no idea what. I'd appreciate any troubleshooting suggestions.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Possible IP conflict with another device?
Maybe time for a bench test, isolate either the cam or the LAN as the problem.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The RTSP, HTTPS & Server ports are correctly configured and forwarded on the router.
I presume you know that's a seriously risky thing to do, allowing the entire internet to access a vulnerable device on your network.
If / when it gets hacked, the other devices and data on your LAN will be in play.
Loads of threads and advice on the forum about why this should not be done, and alternative more secure methods for access.

a Hikvision DS-2DE3304W-DE IP camera takes up to 48 hours to come online after a power reset.
Is this when you are accessing the camera remotely?

blk

n3wb
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson: Thanks for that. Please point me to one of the 'alternative more secure methods for access' threads.

@DsineR: I don't think there's an IP conflict; arp -a [IP address] returns only one hit, with the MAC address of the camera in question.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Please point me to one of the 'alternative more secure methods for access' threads.
This is worth reading.

Searching for Openvpn provides an overwhelming number of matches, and even 'openvpn installation' yields a large number, by no means all are relevant.