Hikvision to NAS storage config

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

Can someone please help me with a little advice.

As a temp solution i would like to configure my Hikvision 2332-I cameras to store its recording on my NAS , can someone please help with the configuration that is necessary?

Thank you in advance

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Dave,
There are quite a few comments on this topic on this forum, with various solutions and approaches dependant on the environment.
Check out the sticky 'Solving NFS issues ...'
I can share my experience with you - but it will just be one of several approaches.
First - the problem varies with the firmware version. I'm using 5.2.0
It also varies with the network file sharing protocol and NAS type. I'm using SBM/CIFS (ie Microsoft networking) on my QNAP NAS, not NFS.
I have found that recording works OK when the available volume size is 200GB, doesn't when it's 250GB. I've not explored the actual boundary. So I created a dedicated volume to apply the size limitation.
I have needed to have a network share dedicated to each camera, it doesn't seem possible in the camera configuration to specify subfolders per camera in a common share, ie /sharename/foldername
What I haven't explored yet is applying per-user size quotas. Another forum member did this successfully on a Synology NAS, saved having to create new volumes.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Dave,
There are quite a few comments on this topic on this forum, with various solutions and approaches dependant on the environment.
Check out the sticky 'Solving NFS issues ...'
I can share my experience with you - but it will just be one of several approaches.
It also varies with the network file sharing protocol and NAS type. I'm using SBM/CIFS (ie Microsoft networking) on my QNAP NAS, not NFS.
I have found that recording works OK when the available volume size is 200GB, doesn't when it's 250GB. I've not explored the actual boundary. So I created a dedicated volume to apply the size limitation.
I have needed to have a network share dedicated to each camera, it doesn't seem possible in the camera configuration to specify subfolders per camera in a common share, ie /sharename/foldername
What I haven't explored yet is applying per-user size quotas. Another forum member did this successfully on a Synology NAS, saved having to create new volumes.
Cheers Alastair, i will have a loot at this

nottooloud

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using SBM/CIFS (ie Microsoft networking) on my QNAP NAS, not NFS.
Where do you specify the volume size? I create a share on the QNAP, and Hik config sees at as all available space.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
To provide a volume of defined size to the camera:
You can activate per-user quotas.
Or you can create (if you are using LVM [logical volume manager]) a volume of the required size from your storage pool, thick / thin / flexible it doesn't matter.

nottooloud

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks. New to both the QNAP and Hikvision. Steep learning curve, but proceeding.

id5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Some versions of the QNAP firmware still report all available space rather than just the quota, if you upgrade to one that does not work then just downgrade to the earlier firmware, you can do this by just loading the firmware you do not have to factory reset which can remove all of your data.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi alastairstevenson, what QNAP has model do you have? I am thinking of purchasing a QNAP TS-119PII or TS-112P or a dlink DNS-320.

anything basic to midrange will be ideal. Any ideas?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry about the late response - I have an oldish TS-412, which is low-end and now used as a secondary / backup device. It cannot run the new LVM storage capability, it's not considered SMB (Small and Medium Business, not Server Message Block).
But I also have a TS-431+ which is nice and fast and has the LVM facilities, which are very good.
For storing anything valuable - I think you do need a multiple-bay NAS so you can have RAID5 or RAID6 for resilience and that's even before you have a backup target.

But there are loads - too many - of models to choose from.

Samee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any single bay NAS would suffice, I'm not worried about RAID or backups just yet. I'm trying to get a QNAP single bay for <£150 something for home use nothing to fancy. Basically anything can save from my hikvision ds-2cd2032 cam to a NAS.

Would you recommend the ts-119PII Or ts-112p?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a bit loath to recommend any specific QNAP NAS model - however some general recommendations may be useful.
To use as a Hikvision camera storage target you don't have to have an SMB model that has the LVM capability, these are both SOHO, user quotas should allow you to adjust the reported volume size OK.
May be worth considering the use of Surveillance Station as you get 2 built-in camera licences, though extras are expensive at $60 each. You would need at least 512MB of RAM, which these both have, though that is the minimum.
I think you would regret a single-bay purchase later on. Even 2-bay would give you some resilience with RAID1 perhaps later.

Reaction score
I found this thread very helpful. However there is one more thing to add. If you want snapshots to be saved to the NAS you need to go to Advanced configuration - Storage - Snapshot tab and enable 1 or both of the snapshot options. Then go to Advanced Configuration - Network FTP tab and setup FTP - these settings are case sensitive. I created a share at the top level for camera recordings and a sub folder for photos, so I set directory structure to save in the child directory, set the parent directory to the share name (which is at the top level in the directory structure) and then set child directory to use camera name. Make sure you have FTP enabled on your NAS as well. I tested my settings with FileZilla to solve any connection issues with the NAS. Hope this helps anyone who might be trying to do the same thing.

JpEncausse

n3wb
Reaction score
@choc-a-holic How do you set the Hikvision to upload VIDEO to the NAS FTP ?

I successfully setup Alarm PIR to trigger snapshot to the FTP (so my FTP setup seems OK) But I don't understand how to upload video footage ?

(I also try upload throught CIFS or NFS to a Synology DS115j but it do not works. The disk setting is a little buggy and I don't understand why upload is not performed. FTP would be so much easier.)

Reaction score
How do you set the Hikvision to upload VIDEO to the NAS FTP ?
I don't know if you can set it up to use FTP.

• Under storage management - I assume you have the NAS configured to SMB/CIFS - have you created a storage area under storage - storage management and allocated a record %?
  • Have you setup a basic event for motion detection?
  • Have you setup a recording schedule - under Storage -record storage?

On the Qnap we also can use Surveillance Station which I use - I believe you have a similar product on the Synology - have you tried this? I still needed to go thru the motion detection & recording schedule setup under the camera configuration thou

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
how to play back video backup on this PC Desktop or Server windows
You need a video player that supports h.264
WMP doesn't do this natively, you'd need to add an h.264 codec.
VLC does this natively, for example:
h264_example.jpg

PattoLFC

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone think there will ever be a NAS fix for the 200+GB paritions on v5.3.0?

I can't use partitions on my NAS as it's only a WD basic one :(

hunte88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I apologize for this old post but i ask you which is the bug in details for size up 250 gb.
In my case i try to press test connection button in panel administration recorder but i receive message "impossible to connect".
Is this the bug ?