Hikvision Turret 4K with Ultra Low Light?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would it say its not Ultra Low light? Even the official Hikvision pages say it is: 8 MP Ultra-Low Light Network Turret Camera | Hikvision Canada | The world’s largest video surveillance manufacturer
because its not...hikvision can call it whatever it wants. Dahua does the same with 5mp starlights, they suck in low light...you cannot have an 8k 1/2.5 sensor and achieve "ultra low light" sensitivity....but since you believe everything these china companies tell you, why are you even asking for advice here? hikvision knows best. Buy the perfect camera and let us know how it goes...

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
because its not...hikvision can call it whatever it wants. Dahua does the same with 5mp starlights, they suck in low light...you cannot have an 8k 1/2.5 sensor and achieve "ultra low light" sensitivity....but since you believe everything these china companies tell you, why are you even asking for advice here? hikvision knows best. Buy the perfect camera and let us know how it goes...
Fender, why you all stroppy man? I have the 2335 and its great in low light, i'm simply asking peeps on here if they have the 2385 and if it's better in low light than the 2335?

I do believe Hikvision are great, had several generation of the turrets, domes, however which 4k would you suggest is good in low light then Mr Cheerful?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fender, why you all stroppy man? I have the 2335 and its great in low light, i'm simply asking peeps on here if they have the 2385 and if it's better in low light than the 2335?

I do believe Hikvision are great, had several generation of the turrets, domes, however which 4k would you suggest is good in low light then Mr Cheerful?
you post a dumb reply dont expect a cheery answer...there are none unless you are ready to spend serious cash...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To get a rough idea of how the two cameras do in low light, compare their minimum illumination (lux) specs:
2335: will stay in color down to .005 lux.
2385: will only stay in color down to .027 lux.

My guess is that the 2385 uses a Sony STARVIS image sensor (like the 2335), which may be why Hikvision decided to label both models "Ultra-Low Light". But the sensor alone isn't what makes the 2335 so good... it's the sensor PLUS the fact that the 2335 has fewer megapixels.

In the price range that people here play in, I haven't seen any IP camera with more than 2/3MP that performs as well in low-light as the 2335 (or Dahua Starlights, which us the same sensor).

Last edited:

venturis

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this the perfect cam?

4K, low light and Turret?

Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I 8MP (4K) Fixed Lens Camera 30m IR

Is this better than the 2335?
I've attached a screen shot of both the 2CD2335FWD-I and the 2CD2385FWD-I covering almost identical scenes.

I use both cameras to get the optimum daytime and night time coverage. The 2CD2385FWD is unbeatable in the day. The resolution at 4K allows me to read license plates at about 20 meters but really does fall short at night.

Conversely the 2CD2335FWD provides great night coverage with quite of bit of detail in the shadows that the 2CD2385 cannot reveal. On daylight it always looks slightly out of focus but I'm not sure as the sharpeness varies in different light conditions.

Based on my experience I wouldn't call the 2CD2385FWD-I a low light camera. It performs on par with my older 2CD2342 4MP cam however the 2CD2335 is much better at night if that's your primary objective.

The samples attached are both illuminated by the IR in the 2CD2385 only set at 25% "distance". The 2335 IR is completely off. I use the IR on the 2385 to provide additional illumination for the 2335 to overcome the problems of the IR reflection off bugs which would otherwise trigger the motion detection
2CD2385FWD-I 4mm.jpg 2CD2335FWD-I 4mm.jpg

The first image is from the 8MP 2385. The second image is the 3MP 2335.

If you need any other information or comparison shots let me know.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
same opinion 2385 are good in the day suck at night my low light 2mp shines at night,even the little 330 ptz with no ir in my drive way with all the other ir and ambient light around performs well I kind of got lucky on that one,
its best to use a combination of different cameras unless you can afford 3k plus on a camera to do everything

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fender, why you all stroppy man?
Fenderman loves you. Always remember that. Sometimes loving someone means you have be hard on them for their own good.

He's sort of like the parent who is always saying "no" in the checkout aisle at the supermarket with the kid who is crying for a candy-bar. The responsible parent says "No" because they love their child and do not want their child to get fat and develop diabetes from eating sugary snacks.

So, in context, Fenderman isn't stroppy, he loves you, and doesn't want you to get fat and die from complications of diabetes resulting from lack of exercise because you spend all day sitting around watching your 4K turret stream.