Hikvision USA Retail NVR DS-7616NI-E2/8P password does not work after upgrade

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I know I was being a bit rude just butting in like that.

Reaction score
I received an unlock code which was successful, then per the seller's instructions, I reset to factory settings.
First, thanks to the forum people for helping me with the unlock. I otherwise wouldn't have known to keep the NVR on after generating the XML file.
While I'm glad I was able to restore access to the NVR, I don't know what to do about future firmware upgrades. I can't go through this every time. I've emailed the seller for advice. Not upgrading the firmware is not an option, what with security fixes and features added with each new version.
I should mention that the XML unlock file I received is a 172 byte file that looks nothing like the passwords generated by the Hikvision unlock tool posted elsewhere in the forums. I hope at some point someone will figure out how to generate those files more easily.

shaoalan79

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Happyslapping,

1. Your dealer should have the correct FW for their products if they are not an authorized Hikvision dealer.
2. If you are 100% sure that your NVR is built for USA, here is the portal:http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/, you can download the fw and try it on through regular USB update method. But be really cautious before you try, most of the time, if the fw is not meant for the machine, it will popup an 'mismatch firmware' message, but I've had bad luck before, the wrong fw slipped into my machine, and it is bricked.
3. Hikvision beefed up their effort to secure the NVR. That's why the old ways of flashing the ROM in this forum won't work any more. At this moment, we are all hijacked, the guy who sells us the lock still holding the master key to unlock our lock, even we pay for it, we don't own it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that you have access again, and presumably have it configured to your needs - a strong recommendation is to export a copy of the device and IPC configurations and save them, suitably filename-labelled, in a safe place.
This can be done in the Maintenance menu of the web GUI.

Reaction score
Actually, my dealer is not an authorized one, according to the Hikvision website. Somehow, they still had access to the new unlock tool and were able to generate the unlock code for me. They still haven't responded to my question about upgrading to the latest firmware. I don't want to do the FW upgrade without the dealer's "blessing", and find out that the Admin password is changed again, forcing me to repeat the unlock procedure.
At this stage, I'm going to keep the Hikvision cameras and return the NVR. I'll build a Synology SS instead, since I've had good experiences with their enclosures.