Hikvision with 3rd Party Cameras?

bigzaj

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 SnapAV IP cameras which I purchased ~18 months ago. I believe they are rebranded Hunt cameras.

Based on the new app from Snap and their new Luma NVR, I think they are rebranding Hikvision now. I'd like to expand to 10 cameras (+7 new Hikvision) but still keep my existing 3 if possible. Will Hikvision support 3rd party cameras with the NVR?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On the Hikvision 76xx series NVRs, even if the cameras are not on the drop-down of supported brands, generally you can get them connected for recording only with either a Generic RTSP connection (custom protocol method) or an ONVIF choice.

bigzaj

n3wb
Reaction score
Does motion sensing and alerts (e.g. iOS notifications) happen from the camera or nvr? To ask differently will this functionality be available using RTSP?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
To ask differently will this functionality be available using RTSP?
An RTSP connection will give recording only.
An ONVIF connection can give motion recording if the camera supports ONVIF push/pull event notifications. Many do not.
The events generated if any, by the camera, can be checked with the 'Events' page of the open-source Windows tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net

Reaction score
I've got an ONVIF camera connected to my Hikvision NVR. The NVR will not support motion detection with it no matter how I configure it. But it does record 24/7

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR will not support motion detection with it no matter how I configure it.
But does the camera actually generate event notifications via ONVIF?
ONVIF Device Manager will allow you to confirm if it does or not, on the 'Events' page.

Reaction score
The camera is an Avtech and yes it does support event notification and motion detection in the Avtech software, and their NVRs and in my Mac's Security Spy, ( software NVR ) but I stopped using that option very quickly in any of my cameras since I began using IP cams several years ago. I was getting notifications for headlights, birds, spiders, cats, foxes, the moon, sunlight dropping in and out of clouds, rain, snow.:mad-new: Melted my head. iVMS also wouldn't show the camera in the software until I added the NVR itself to the device list, then it showed up and I could add it to the camera windows. I'll poke around and see if I can get the NVR to show event notifications for it. I only have it up and running a few days and it's a bit of a handful to get used to, my first NVR. :shame:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but the camera ONVIF implementation may not support event notifications. This can be confirmed via ONVIF Device Manager.

Reaction score
HMM I'm on a Mac, I don't have ONVIF device manager, doesn't seem to be available for mac either.