Hikvision with GeoVision software

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am currently using 3 GeoVision cameras running on PC based GeoVision software. The camera management software is ONVIF compliant. I'm interested in adding a couple more cameras and would like to use the DS-2CD2032-I. What are the chances this camera would run on the GV software?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am currently using 3 GeoVision cameras running on PC based GeoVision software. The camera management software is ONVIF compliant. I'm interested in adding a couple more cameras and would like to use the DS-2CD2032-I. What are the chances this camera would run on the GV software?
Welcome to the forum..generally manufacture software will only support their own cameras, howerver, geovision seems to allows third party cameras...I dont know for certain, but I bet there is a license fee, probably 50-100 per camera..

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
99$ for 2 cameras license. don't do it...sell your geovision and get all hikvision. I use geovision in the pass few years. NOT GOOD!!

Reactions: mik

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
99$ for 2 cameras license. don't do it...sell your geovision and get all hikvision. I use geovision in the pass few years. NOT GOOD!!
I understand why one would not want to buy license but please explain why Geovision is "not good"?

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think he's saying that b/c you are locked into using their software/NVR vs being able to use other platforms. I have 3 geovision cameras that are awesome, only issue is i HAVE to use geovision software.

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Expense aside does anyone know how Geovision rates against say BI or Milestone purely on features ? (It it so expensive one would expect many more features, am I right?)

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I've seen BI may have more features, but the Geovision software I used was free. They have 2 different versions. They charge for one if you run a large amount of cameras.

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow what a revelation. Thanks Dryfly

Geovision is free if you use their cameras but if not you need to buy a dongle for 3rd party cameras. 16ch is about $600+ on ebay so your kind reply has saved me $$$

Im still stunned that its @x10 the price of BI and not as good.......

Was it GV NVR you used ?

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From what I've seen BI may have more features, but the Geovision software I used was free. They have 2 different versions. They charge for one if you run a large amount of cameras.
I use geovision for couple years until I found Hikvision. much cheaper and better in performance.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow what a revelation. Thanks Dryfly

Geovision is free if you use their cameras but if not you need to buy a dongle for 3rd party cameras. 16ch is about $600+ on ebay so your kind reply has saved me $$$

Im still stunned that its @x10 the price of BI and not as good.......

Was it GV NVR you used ?
I used GV NVR as well as the newer GV VMS. Both are good but the installers still seem to prefer the GV NVR.

As a beginner they did everything, and more, that I needed. I'm just starting to play around with Hikvision cameras so have not had an opportunity to try BI or iVMS-4200, but look forward to.

wdrjack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Running 9 3MP Chinese Hikvision and 1 2mp Dahua PTZ camera in a Geovision NVR.

Works with no issues and no worries about what firmware version camera is on (like language mismatch) since using ONVIF to connect.

You can find NVR dongle license cheap on Ebay once in a while.

Attachments

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 21 Geovision cams with the GV NVR software, the interface is OK, nothing great. Like others have mentioned, you will need the dongle to get Hik cams to work with GV. The GV IP device utility will see your Hik cam but you wont be able to set a camera position.

I have also tried to add GV cams to Blue Iris. My newest GV cam, EBL-1100 loaded up fine but seemed to use more CPU power than my Hik 2332 bullet. I was also able to load an older BX220 (2014 firmware 2.15) but it took some more tinkering.

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So its looking like this ....? ( if you can) Sell some players buy some new and change the manager !!! ie

Ebay your geovision cams Buy Hikvision and the software league table is 1) Milestone 2) BI 3) GV and Others......

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 21 Geovision cams with the GV NVR software, the interface is OK, nothing great. Like others have mentioned, you will need the dongle to get Hik cams to work with GV. The GV IP device utility will see your Hik cam but you wont be able to set a camera position.

I have also tried to add GV cams to Blue Iris. My newest GV cam, EBL-1100 loaded up fine but seemed to use more CPU power than my Hik 2332 bullet. I was also able to load an older BX220 (2014 firmware 2.15) but it took some more tinkering.
Could you elaborate a little on how you got the older Geovision camera to load on BI. I'll be glad to PM you if you prefer.

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Could you elaborate a little on how you got the older Geovision camera to load on BI. I'll be glad to PM you if you prefer.
Log into your GV web interface for the camera, be sure you have RTSP enabled (activate link) it should show port 8554 by default. make the change and save that.

Now pull up BI and add a camera. Select the Geovision Make and then you may have to try both model options to see what works for you. Make sure RTSP port shows 8554. See attached screen shot.

I have connected a BX220, BX120, BX140W and EBL-1100 via BI.

Hope that help you out.

BI GV setup.jpg
GV rs.jpg

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Log into your GV web interface for the camera, be sure you have RTSP enabled (activate link) it should show port 8554 by default. make the change and save that.

Now pull up BI and add a camera. Select the Geovision Make and then you may have to try both model options to see what works for you. Make sure RTSP port shows 8554. See attached screen shot.

Hope that help you out.

View attachment 7549
View attachment 7550

Thank you. I will try it. I've got a couple of old GV F120D domes that I'd still like to use in my migration to HIkvisions, so maybe I can pull it off.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Hope that help you out.

View attachment 7549
View attachment 7550
thank you, it worked. Took me a while to get BI up and running, but after a few trys got the GV camera showing up. Have not tried all the features but looks like I will be able to use my GV cameras.

Ion Barker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thank you, it worked. Took me a while to get BI up and running, but after a few trys got the GV camera showing up. Have not tried all the features but looks like I will be able to use my GV cameras.
Good to hear, I have been getting motion detection and pretty decent video from my GV cams under BI. I will slowly phase out my GV cams as I add new Hik ones!

Under your GV web interface... be sure you adjust your FPS as the default is 30fps. You will need to select "custom" as your connection speed to modify the FPS, if not it will be grayed.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Running 9 3MP Chinese Hikvision and 1 2mp Dahua PTZ camera in a Geovision NVR.

Works with no issues and no worries about what firmware version camera is on (like language mismatch) since using ONVIF to connect.

You can find NVR dongle license cheap on Ebay once in a while.

Curious if you are planning on upgrading to GV-VMS from GV-NVR?

Or, based on your experiences with GV-NVR, would you instead switch to a different solution?