Hikvision's 4MP camera sub stream with Hikvision NVR

sfitz527

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all, I’ve been browsing these forums for months since I first got into the whole IP surveillance game but have been hesitant to post until I’ve learned more about the industry. I some how found myself installing systems now for extended family and neighbors, after they saw how far the technology has come.

Anyway, recently I’ve purchased two of the newer 4mp Hikvision cameras to complement existing 3mp cameras on the system. I am currently playing around with a DS-2CD2142FWD-IS purchased through Nelly’s and a DS-2CD2742FWD-IZS U.S. version. I have been testing these cameras on a DS-7608NI-E2/8P and a DS-7604NI-E1/4P Hikvision NVR. Both NVR’s are running the most current firmware V3.4.1.The cameras are running SF Version:V5.3.3, Date 11/2015 and SF Version: V5.3.8, Date 01/2016 respectfully. While the Main stream of these new cameras looks great at 2688*1520 the sub stream only allows me to go to 640*360, which looks terrible on my monitor or phone. My old 3 mp cameras have a higher sub stream at 704*576, which looks great while viewing.

I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with this frustration. I’ve contacted Hikvision support via email and phone. On both instances tech support was confused that the cameras were limiting the sub stream to such a low resolution at first but eventually both representatives told me this is how these 4mp cameras are designed, and if I wanted a better viewing resolution I would have to view the main stream.

To me this seems like a silly software issue by Hikvision transitioning from the older 4:3 aspect ratio tothe 16:9 in these newer cameras. It’s really disappointing when you spend so much money to try to upgrade a surveillancesystem by purchasing the newest cameras, however the video actually looks worse than the older cameras. Sure my main stream will be recorded at a higher resolution, but 90% of the time myself and my family see the sub stream, which looks terrible at this quality (640*360).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is another post that discusses this issue but no solution. Have you tried increasing the bitrate/video quality for the sub-stream?

sfitz527

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman I've played around with just about all the settings in the sub stream tab. Right now my settings are:

Bitrate type: Variable
Video Quality: 3 bar
Frame Rate: Full Frame
Max. Bitrate Mode: General
Max. Bitrate (Kbps)(max.:2M):1024

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman I've played around with just about all the settings in the sub stream tab. Right now my settings are:

Bitrate type: Variable
Video Quality: 3 bar
Frame Rate: Full Frame
Max. Bitrate Mode: General
Max. Bitrate (Kbps)(max.:2M):1024
Set the bitrate to max and the video quality to the highest...then lower the frame rate to 7 and see if the image improves.