HK recording on milestone - distorted image, can view live fine

militarymedic23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just got in a HK 3345 turret cam. Initial tests put up a good image, no problems.
What I'm running into is when milestone is trying to record, the image goes beserk. I've let milestone handle the motion detection but then changed it to built in camera events. no change. tried putting the resolution down, no change. I could go through every option, but wanted to ask if anyone might have heard of something similar happening with their setup.
The oddest thing is, I can sit and watch the webpage live view, and milestone's live view and it's perfectly fine.
There is a slight difference between what the milestone server sees in the smart client and a regular workstation in terms of recorded distortion. Server sees the image going in and out, but it's almost like a halfway opaque overlay where you can still see movement. It flips back and forth between that gray overlay and regular image. The workstation client replay shows a colored stretched unviewable image that alternates with regular video.

The only issue is on recording. Tried turning on continuous recording with no events and it's still the same.
Milestone is using the HK 2x8 profile, which is the same as another HK cam. no problems on that one at all.

firmware is V5.3.8 build 160108

Initial thoughts are something odd with the camera itself, and the video feed for recording it's trying to send but something obviously isn't right.

Any more info that might be needed, let me know. Trying to unload it in this post and will probably leave out a piece of info that seems obvious later!

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
match the iframe interval to the fps and see what happens.

militarymedic23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 2 other hikvision cams with identical settings though, and no issues.
I'll give it a try and reply back.

militarymedic23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Went back over recordings since this last post and have seen no change.
Oddly enough I was looking at the milestone app on my iPhone and I can't see any distortion. Although the iPhone only seems to replay at 10fps.
I'm starting to wonder if this is more aimed at the video stream coming from the camera. If different types of platforms are seeing slightly different issues then it would seem it's how they are trying o view the video format. If the format itself is off then that may explain some of this.
Would anyone agree?

militarymedic23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also just tried to wipe out the camera and add it back in as an ONIF device, not using the hikvision driver. Same thing.
This was an ebay purchase, supposedly an excess item from an install. So I don't have much time if I'm going to report this as a defective unit and return it to the seller.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt it's the camera... Take it down and test with a short cable...

militarymedic23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
think I got it down. SVC.
I did a factory reset, and slowly put settings back on. The only one I hadn't re-enabled was SVC. Auto causes issues, trying it with just on and I'll see what happens.

any thoughts though on why SVC would cause this? I have SVC enabled on other cams and have never seen an issue so far.

militarymedic23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
definitely no for any svc. turned it back off and things cleared up instantly.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
svc changes the way h.264 is transmitted...its layered...if off solves the problem..leave it off.

militarymedic23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was reading a note on that, seems to help in some situations.
Maybe the issue with SVC being the troublemaker here vs my other cams boils down to the way svc was defined in firmware.