Holy Storm Surge!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Once the news cycle ends the tragic outcomes all kind of disappear from plain sight. But the long lasting effects of no Power, no water, being displaced, water damage, mildew mold, ripping out sheet rock, ripping out carpeting, standing inline for basic needs, not to mention the inventory depletionof nearby services...fukmi......Add old age to that....watching my Mother try to run towards jacksonville, and getting caught low on fuel, and all that happy horseshit....

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Once the news cycle ends the tragic outcomes all kind of disappear from plain sight. But the long lasting effects of no Power, no water, being displaced, water damage, mildew mold, ripping out sheet rock, ripping out carpeting, standing inline for basic needs, not to mention the inventory depletionof nearby services...fukmi......Add old age to that....watching my Mother try to run towards jacksonville, and getting caught low on fuel, and all that happy horseshit....
I grew up in Florida and in my opinion it's a rotten place to live. I got out when I was 18 years old and have no desire to go back except to visit my brother in Tampa from time to time. Everything in Florida wants to kill you or make your life uncomfortable. Hurricanes and the occasional tornado are obvious threats, but you also have to deal with a combination of high temps and high humidity, poisonous snakes, alligators, the ever annoying mosquitoes, spiders and whatnot. Oh, and then there's love bug season when your car can become covered with bug guts that can eat through your paint if you don't wash them off, and that's not an easy task. My brother lost a dog that was bitten by a rattle snake in his back yard, and I was recently informed by someone else I know in Florida that his Husky died due to a snake bite in his yard. I now live in Washington State which is as far away from Florida that I can get in the US without moving to Alaska. Florida, Just say no. :)

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I grew up in Florida and in my opinion it's a rotten place to live. I got out when I was 18 years old and have no desire to go back except to visit my brother in Tampa from time to time. Everything in Florida wants to kill you or make your life uncomfortable. Hurricanes and the occasional tornado are obvious threats, but you also have to deal with a combination of high temps and high humidity, poisonous snakes, alligators, the ever annoying mosquitoes, spiders and whatnot. Oh, and then there's love bug season when your car can become covered with bug guts that can eat through your paint if you don't wash them off, and that's not an easy task. My brother lost a dog that was bitten by a rattle snake in his back yard, and I was recently informed by someone else I know in Florida that his Husky died due to a snake bite in his yard. I now live in Washington State which is as far away from Florida that I can get in the US without moving to Alaska. Florida, Just say no. :)
For some reason, Florida is the favorite place to move to for all the New Yorkers when they ready to die.... I mean retire.:winktongue:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
For some reason, Florida is the favorite place to move to for all the New Yorkers when they ready to die.... I mean retire.:winktongue:
I'm from Upstate Ny, Record amount of people leaving because of our draconian Laws and taxes, Georgia, Tennessee and the Carolina's seem to be fav spots people are moving to.

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Northeasterners have been retiring in Florida for decades. The most common reason given is that they're tired of snow and cold weather so they want to retire where it's warm and sunny. I'm sure that it's for economic reasons as well since the cost of living in Florida is just a bit over the national average. It's not cheap, but it's not expensive either. Homeless people like it too because they don't freeze to death in the winter. It remains to be seen how hurricane Ian will effect the cost of living in Florida. Home insurance companies have been pulling out or liquidating for some time due to it being a risky market and due to massive fraud and lawsuits. Homeowners insurance policies were being canceled and people were unable to find a new carrier so the government had to step in. We'll see what happens after the insurance companies pay out due to the latest devastation. Before Ian, Floridians paid nearly three times the national average for home insurance and the rates were climbing 33% per year, while the national average is 9%. Ian will likely drive the price up even further.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's because they voted for all the liberal tax policies and now that they are on a fixed income, they HAVE to move to a state that has low taxes and NO state income tax. That is why below I-4 it's all democrat and north of I-4 is republican.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You also forgot to bring up the invasion of Cuban Frogs. :)

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You also forgot to bring up the invasion of Cuban Frogs. :)
I also omitted sinkholes, iguanas destroying the river banks and much more. :)

Florida is the red flaccid penis of the United States that needs to visit a free clinic to stop the burn. Did I mention that I don't like Florida? :)

1666146512476.png

Reaction score
I also omitted sinkholes,
Funny story around sinkholes in FL.

Back in the early '80s I was working in the Exploration department for Exxon and one of my areas was FL. We would get daily 'scouting reports' about other company's drill well progress. Basically they were spy reports on what those wells were doing. There is a process called 'fishing' in drill well talk. That is when a drill bit or drill pipe gets broken off down hole and has to be fished out of the hole. This also can happen if something is 'lost' or 'dropped' down the hole (one reason not to fire a drilling hand while he is still on the drill floor). Usually a company that specializes in fishing stuff out of a drill hole is called in to retrieve said item. This can sometimes take days and is very expensive.

In scouting reports sometimes an entry for a particular well might read "Current operation: Fishing for bit at 12,572mdft". Which tells you that the bit is located 12,572 feet below the surface (md stands for measured depth) and a fishing attempt is being made.

One morning I come into work and the first thing I always did was to read the daily scouting reports for wells that were in my area. This specific morning had an entry for a well in FL that stated:

"Fishing for rig".

The well drilled into a sinkhole/cavern that was about 120' in height. The ground gave way and the entire drill rig fell into the resulting hole. Just the top part of the derrick was observable from the surface.

Our scout said that was the best entry he ever got to make.