Home Assistant

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Haven't been around in a long time. Anyone running home assistant here? Doing anything cool with it and blue iris or cams in general? anything else cool?

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am running Home Assistant and have BI send an MQTT command to HA to announce through my echo devices when someone is at my front door. I am also using the same setup to alert me when a car pulls into my front or back driveway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Over New Year's Weekend, I got around to installing HA on a NUC. Just gots it installed and functioning. I have Blue Iris and new cams nearly installed. And should have my DSC w/EVL link up as well. Should be a fun weekend to hurt my brain.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I am running Home Assistant and have BI send an MQTT command to HA to announce through my echo devices when someone is at my front door. I am also using the same setup to alert me when a car pulls into my front or back driveway.

Nice, I just have scripts that change my BI profile when my HA alarm panel state changes to match, and HA triggers BI when the HA alarm triggers, just using http commands and nothing fancy like MQTT.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Hey, are you viewing cams from BI in lovelace? If so can you post an example config?

Caveman81

n3wb
Reaction score
I have HA setup to toggle IVS rules depending on time and whether it senses our phones in the house.

We also had a rabbit and raccoon problem that was destroying our lawn. I used HA, appdaemon and an add-on app (seen it talked about here on the site) to activate some sprinklers I made to spray them if they tripped a “pest” ivs rule after 11pm.

Still exploring all the other features!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eladbar

n3wb
Reaction score
I developed a custom component to connect BI to HA

Link to the HA forum:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

what do you run HA on?

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is anyone using the above component developed by @eladbar?

I have been using an iFrame with UI3 which has been working well but I'd like to pull the streams into home assistant to give me more options/configs/layouts etc.

The component does everything I could want however at the penalty of huge bandwith.

As a test, I setup a low quality streaming profile (attached) and limited the user (home assistant) to the profile. Only the quality % seems to have an effect on total bit rate.

With one 720p sub stream being viewed in home assistant, blue iris is saying it's pulling 4,500kbps...

with 50% quality, viewing all cams, I was hitting 40,000kbps...

Any idea's on how to limit the bitrate to less eye-watering levels?

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 14.34.38.pngScreenshot 2021-05-23 at 14.31.21.png

Reaction score
Is anyone using the above component developed by @eladbar?

I have been using an iFrame with UI3 which has been working well but I'd like to pull the streams into home assistant to give me more options/configs/layouts etc.

The component does everything I could want however at the penalty of huge bandwith.

As a test, I setup a low quality streaming profile (attached) and limited the user (home assistant) to the profile. Only the quality % seems to have an effect on total bit rate.

With one 720p sub stream being viewed in home assistant, blue iris is saying it's pulling 4,500kbps...

with 50% quality, viewing all cams, I was hitting 40,000kbps...

Any idea's on how to limit the bitrate to less eye-watering levels?

View attachment 90374View attachment 90375
you could drop the bitrate inside the camera GUI itself to lower the kbps. For substreams, I usually go for the D1 resolution. You'll will have to tinker with the bitrate to your liking.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you could drop the bitrate inside the camera GUI itself to lower the kbps. For substreams, I usually go for the D1 resolution. You'll will have to tinker with the bitrate to your liking.
The feed is a sub stream (third stream 720p) @ roughly 400kB/s coming into BI so nothing crazy. It's a duplicate camera with just this sub stream going into home assistant.

I can pull the 4k main stream rtsp into vlc at just under 600kbps at 15fps

Pulling the sub stream into home assistant pulls 4500kbps at 7fps

Reaction score
My main 4k camera stream comes in around 450kB/s
Substream is down to 31 kB/s.
Not digitally possible to pull more kB/s out of a camera when it's dishing out what it is dishing out.
Maybe HA has a decimal point you are missing? Or the kB/s value is skewed?
test.jpg

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I still use the mpjeg option and set up only select cams in configuration.yaml. Then i create a picture entity card. Note that the defaults will only update the image once a minute in the card (clicking on cam it wiil get bigger and go live. To see live within the card, you change camera view to live...

camera:
- platform: mjpeg
name: FrontDoor
mjpeg_url: still_image_url:

1621795905193.png

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My main 4k camera stream comes in around 450kB/s
Substream is down to 31 kB/s.
Not digitally possible to pull more kB/s out of a camera when it's dishing out what it is dishing out.
Maybe HA has a decimal point you are missing? Or the kB/s value is skewed?
I don't think it's pulling more Kb/s than the camera is dishing out, it's that it is pulling the full bitrate rather than respecting the bitrate limit In have imposed on that particular profile & user.

It does however respect the quality % set in the profile (I've set to 15% and see a degradation in quality in home assistant).

I have imposed 100kbps as a test yet through @eladbar component as an h264 stream, it is pulling ~3500 kbps:
Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 20.20.46.png

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 20.23.15.pngScreenshot 2021-05-23 at 20.22.10.png

I'm not quite sure where the component is pulling the stream from. I initially thought that the stream was unaffected by the web server encoder profiles, but it definitely respects the quality %, just not the bitrate limit... Weird!

Reaction score
I don't think it's pulling more Kb/s than the camera is dishing out, it's that it is pulling the full bitrate rather than respecting the bitrate limit In have imposed on that particular profile & user.

It does however respect the quality % set in the profile (I've set to 15% and see a degradation in quality in home assistant).

I have imposed 100kbps as a test yet through @eladbar component as an h264 stream, it is pulling ~3500 kbps:

I'm not quite sure where the component is pulling the stream from. I initially thought that the stream was unaffected by the web server encoder profiles, but it definitely respects the quality %, just not the bitrate limit... Weird!
for testing purposes...create a clone camera of just the substream and try that out. yes, resolution will not be top notch but I am curious if your bitrate will drop