Home Automation, Lights and Locks.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 1st gen hub was basically useless without internet, 2nd gen saw some improvements. I'd still rather run homeseer or domoticz.

Smart Things biggest advantage is it's large user base.
I may have to check out some other options as it has been a while Will check out Domoticz, but also HomeSeer and Indigo (Mac).
i really like homeseer I'm thinking of going back to it,but also always wanted to try domoticz on the pi

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
i really like homeseer I'm thinking of going back to it,but also always wanted to try domoticz on the pi
it's awesome, free, open source, very easy to do normal stuff and you can use anything from super simple blockly graphical scripting all the way up to python, bash, I think you can use pretty much anything, very powerful, why limit yourself with some pricey proprietary crap that only does what they set it up to do.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
it's awesome, free, open source, very easy to do normal stuff and you can use anything from super simple blockly graphical scripting all the way up to python, bash, I think you can use pretty much anything, very powerful, why limit yourself with some pricey proprietary crap that only does what they set it up to do.
I don't know I got so many cool things setup with ST now, it would be a bitch to start over on another platform. Only problem I have a SmartThings is there with reliability. Thank god my alarm system I installed is local and very reliable. I tried using ST for a home alarm forget it ... lol

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
so far, i've had no problems but my system is very small so who knows, but then lots of people have problems running windows and my installs are always rock solid so, maybe it's me.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
so far, i've had no problems but my system is very small so who knows, but then lots of people have problems running windows and my installs are always rock solid so, maybe it's me.
Ah right now my zwave network has 189 devices everything from switches,motion sensor,smoke alarms,sonos,echos...ect

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah right now my zwave network has 189 devices everything from switches,motion sensor,smoke alarms,sonos,echos...ect
that, is awesome, and if there is any danger from being inside of all that radiation, you'll be the first to know, LOL.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey did you hear now the Amazon echo has a skill to order your starbucks coffee. Now only if their is a skill to order a 12 pack of beer,we will be set...
I don't trust voice recognition to place online orders LOL you never know what might show up.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't trust voice recognition to place online orders LOL you never know what might show up.
Lmao well I use it all the time to place orders on Amazon for batteries and crap like that

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lmao funny but I think it's fake
Fake no, staged maybe (but I hope most parent's wouldn't deliberately get that to play for a kid that age even if they make some ad revenue in the process). This made the rounds on a bunch of websites apparently it was playing something from a comedy ringtone, I imagine requests to play digger digger no longer result in playing this particular track .
Alexa Has Very Explicit Response To Toddler’s Seemingly Innocent Song Request

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check out a app on IOS called SmartRules also check out core.
Thanks for this suggestion. Talk about easy setting things up through SmartRules. Any DIY solutions that are this simple? My days of editing config files and compiling kernels are over.

Sean Nelson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Take a look at Vera. I just got the vera plus and I like it alot. I have followed vera for a while, their interface used to be very 1990ish, but they have really modernized it now. Its simple enough for an end user to use but has alot of abilities for the tinkering type of people to tinker with. And no cloud needed to operate.

Stay away from zigbee. Other posters were correct, their are issues, but main thing is you have a much greater array of devices to buy from with zwave.

We actually stock both kwikset and schlage. Schlage is made better in my opinion, more metal parts.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, but have used Vera and it's in the same club as Smartthings IMO. Was thinking more like Homeseer, Domoticz, Homeassistant, etc., but they all seems to take having to manually change config files and code. I can do this, but tired of doing so and looking for a DIY that doesn't require it which may not exist.

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned HomeKit or the August lock. Also that there was just a passing mention of openhab.

I've installed the august lock that I use with HomeKit and am planning to buy a myq garage opener. The myq garage opener has a openhab binding that I'll bridge to my phone using the openhab homekit bridge.

I like the idea of installing zwave controls for the switches for lights and fans. I'd like to set that up with openhab and homekit too.

This is the first I've heard of Domoticz. I'll google that now.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned HomeKit or the August lock. Also that there was just a passing mention of openhab.

I've installed the august lock that I use with HomeKit and am planning to buy a myq garage opener. The myq garage opener has a openhab binding that I'll bridge to my phone using the openhab homekit bridge.

I like the idea of installing zwave controls for the switches for lights and fans. I'd like to set that up with openhab and homekit too.

This is the first I've heard of Domoticz. I'll google that now.
Domoticz is pretty sweet, especially if you can script in Lua, Python, or something else it can understand. But the web interface let's you do a lot and the blockly GUI scripting interface let's you do a lot more without really knowing how to script.