Home security cam guidance

Amgclk65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello!
I’m in the process of testing home security cameras for my home. I’ve tried a arlo pro2 kit. It’s a nice setup for wireless I guess. The apps nice. I figured for my 5 camera arlo pro2 price 1k$ I could do better. I ordered a Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I and DS-2CD2342WD-I to test against the arlo pro2 system. After trying the Hikvision cameras I decided to return the arlo system. Here’s where I’m lost. I noticed Costco has a Lorex lnr6826k for $799.99. Which I did some research on. It’s a rebranded Dahua oem 4K kit. So Do i buy that kit and add Dahua Starlights to round the kit out ? Or piece together a better kit for the money? I also don’t plan to use the nvr. I wanted to run blue iris for the setup. Hopefully that makes sense.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello!
I’m in the process of testing home security cameras for my home. I’ve tried a arlo pro2 kit. It’s a nice setup for wireless I guess. The apps nice. I figured for my 5 camera arlo pro2 price 1k$ I could do better. I ordered a Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I and DS-2CD2342WD-I to test against the arlo pro2 system. After trying the Hikvision cameras I decided to return the arlo system. Here’s where I’m lost. I noticed Costco has a Lorex lnr6826k for $799.99. Which I did some research on. It’s a rebranded Dahua oem 4K kit. So Do i buy that kit and add Dahua Starlights to round the kit out ? Or piece together a better kit for the money? I also don’t plan to use the nvr. I wanted to run blue iris for the setup. Hopefully that makes sense.
Hi and welcome Amgclk65,

I also had the Arlo - and am very happy you've decided to look at other options - as that is what I did.

I like the Dahua OEM starlight cameras a LOT. I know it can get pricey to go 100% with starlight cameras, so that Lorex kit from Costco + 2 Dahua Starlight cameras is a very good compromise imho for those on a tighter budget.

The Lorex rebranded Dahua cameras have some compromises compared to Dahua OEM international model cameras, both will work with Blue Iris - so if you do not need the NVR in the kit - I would also look at buying cameras separately from Andy ( EmpireTecAndy here )

We've got a thread on that particular kit here:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

Amgclk65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey mat,
Thanks for responding. I’ll read the thread regarding the Lorex kit. Does it detail the short comings of the Lorex vs Dahua ? Also what’s the Dauha model that’s closest to the Lorex bullet ?