Home Setup Advice

Gurbs

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on camera selection. Is it better to go with the 2mb starlight camera's 4/6mb cameras or something else?

I would prefer dome style camera's over the bullets.

My thoughts are:
- 2 camera's to cover the driveway - Unsure
- 1 camera looking at the front door (IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M/M12) - one lens at the door, other at the walkway
- 1 doorbell camera (NA-KB6013-WIP)
- 1 camera on each side of the house - (IPC-HDBW4239R-ASE)

There are street lights in front of my house, so it's not completely dark. The sides and front door of the house is not lit. I have included pictures to show where I would like the place the cameras.

Attachments

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
My 2 cents, worth what you're paying for it.

Use turret style, not domes, for outdoors unless absolutely necessary, although I can't think of a reason other than at a doorway under cover/shaded.

2MP Starlight is far superior at night than any of the 4MP, or higher, cameras in this price range. 5231 or 2231 being the "goto" model, 5231 if you want a mic, 2231 if you don't. The varifocal will let you adjust the field of view to suit each location. Remember, varifocal is not zoom.

Skip the doorbell camera unless you're going to use a DoorBird. The WiFi stuff has too many problems. Use a "wedge" camera and hopefully get it in the shade. An exception to the "no dome" rule.

Again, the 5231/2231 are the way to go.

Depending on your thoughts, painting them to blend in is another option.

I have Starlight cameras in areas lit by streetlights, the closest being about 150 or so from the camera. I can force a full color picture at night, with no moon, but it is a little noisey for my tastes so I switch them to B&W and don't use the built-in IR.