Home surveillance suggestions

evad714

n3wb
Reaction score
I was told the stuff at costco is not very good.
any truth to that?

What should I get?

one story house. thinking about 8 cameras.
from what I have read sounds like IP, NVR, POE type of stuff is what I'd like to go with.
any particular brand or packages out there I should look at?

Thanks,
David

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What you have been told is not necessarily true David. The Qsee, Lorex and Swann HD/IP products sold at Costco are often re-branded Dahua and Hikvision systems...and Dahua and Hikvision equipment can be very good stuff. But you have to figure out which systems are actually Dahua or Hikvision HD/IP products. In addition, how could you possibly get a better warranty/return policy than Costco offers?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@evad714 - as Q stated some of those systems are actually very reliable and solid quality. One of the downsides to the prepackaged systems is that normally all the cameras are the same lens so you don't get the ability to customize camera views based on camera location.

What exactly is your budget? You may find that with your budget this forum can make some great recomendations for you and you can then customize a system more to your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

evad714

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua and Hikvision both sound good to me. And costco warranty and returns are great.
Is there an easy way to tell which systems are Dahua or Hikvision, or just search and monitor this site?

My budget is... not exactly established. If I can get a system for 1000 or less thats fine by me. If it takes a bit more, then so be it. Based on what I've seen on various sites, I dont see much of a reason to spend more than 2000-2500 on everything (unless there is something I'm missing in regards to components or quality).

thanks for the quick replies.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with purchasing something from Costco with their excellent return policy in case it doesn't work out. They do offer decent bang for the buck occasionally on the bundles, but I don't see anything offered now that looks appealing. Also keep in mind their 3MP cams are older rebranded Hikvision, they were released about 3 years ago.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@evad714 that's a solid budget. I thought the same thing @klasipca did though when I looked at the Costco site - "blah" right now at least. Sometimes there are some great offerings but what I saw today wasn't anything "great".

With a budget of $1,000 - $1,200 you can pretty much custom build a system to exactly what you want and mix domes, turrets, bullets and different lens size to fit placement if you want. Take a look around the site - the site sponsor is Nelly's who everyone that purchases from them raves about there support. Another option is locate user @milkisbad as he works for another a company that private labels one of those two manufactures cameras and he can assist with a custom order.

At any rate, do a little research and read a few forums and reviews and see what you want. If your budget was $500-$700 and you HAD to have 8 cameras I would say find a prepackaged system, but with your budget you can put together a solid system exactly the way you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:

evad714

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
Got ahold of Milk and going through everything now.
Time to plan it out.

evad714

n3wb
Reaction score
One last question... Since I am starting off fresh and new (no existing coax or wiring) IP based is the way to go?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep :)

- - - Updated - - -

Analog is old, Analog HD is Old, and TVI is a crossover/band aid technology for those that can't pull new cat5 cable for IP

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What you have been told is not necessarily true David. The Qsee, Lorex and Swann HD/IP products sold at Costco are often re-branded Dahua and Hikvision systems...and Dahua and Hikvision equipment can be very good stuff. But you have to figure out which systems are actually Dahua or Hikvision HD/IP products. In addition, how could you possibly get a better warranty/return policy than Costco offers?
Any tip on how to figure out if a system is a Hik or Dahua?