Home system upgrade advice...

ac7979

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm considering updating an old SD analog system that came with my home. I'm new to most of this so all suggestions are appreciated.

I currently have 9 cams all SD running D1 encoding, 5 outside and 4 inside. I'd like to accomplish the following:

1. Upgrade the DVR to 4K (or whatever spec to get better picture Quality/Frame Rate)
  2. Upgrade the outdoor cameras for better picture quality plus night vision. (5 cams)
  3. Pipe the DVR stream into BI for all access and post processing?
  4. Make use of motion detection and notifications. (anyone using this, is it effective?)
I'm considering purchasing this system from Costco... (I realize I lose a camera, planning IP cams via BI beyond the 8)

Will my plan work?
  • Will the lorex system work with BI?
  • Is this a good value?
  • What would you do differently?

Thank You!
:)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is read the information in the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Especially the Cliff Notes in there.

Next, I wouldn't by a "packaged system". They are stripped down versions of, otherwise, well featured cameras in order to keep the price low.

I wouldn't bother with an NVR and just use BI on a dedicated PC. That can be a problem if you're not technically adept or inclined. BI can be a little tough to "fine tune", but has so much more capabilities, and far more features than an NVR, that it's well worth the learning curve.

ac7979

n3wb
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is read the information in the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Especially the Cliff Notes in there.

Next, I wouldn't by a "packaged system". They are stripped down versions of, otherwise, well featured cameras in order to keep the price low.

I wouldn't bother with an NVR and just use BI on a dedicated PC. That can be a problem if you're not technically adept or inclined. BI can be a little tough to "fine tune", but has so much more capabilities, and far more features than an NVR, that it's well worth the learning curve.
Thanks I'm checking out the WIki now.

My understanding is that a DVR is less expensive than a capture card for the existing analog lines. Would I not have to run all new lines to eleminate the DVR? Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I assumed, and we know what that does, that you were replacing with PoE, IP based, cameras.

There are two ways to beat that. 1 - use PoE over coax adapters which can be a little expensive. 2 - Put in new cable, CAT5E or better. If you can DIY the cable it's a minor expense for a vast improvement. You could also hire an electrician to do that at anything from $100-$200 per camera. Again a little expensive, but a lot more future proof to replace the cables.