homerun all data cables in new home addition, or just a few?

Reaction score
I'm building an addition to my house and need some data wiring advice. This new addition will have about 7 IP cameras, 16 Cat6 drops, and 3 Cat8 wired access points (future proof those AP connections!).

My question is this: Should each of the ~26 ethernet cables be homerun back to my existing server room where all my networking gear, NAS and fiber connections live? Or, should I install a structure wiring cabinet like On-Q and a switch in the addition, and then homerun only two or three Cat6 or Cat8 back to my main networking room? If I go the structure wiring cabinet route, will it be harder to create VLANs or add the cameras to Blue Iris or Synology?

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it was me, homeruns for sure!! I'd also run twice as many as you think you'll need. Running cable in new builds is so easy and flexible...that for the cost of the cable do it now! Even if you don't wall plate/terminate them all...at least they are there. Just number/mark them.

For your second question, with the proper switch gear you should have no problems creating vlans that span those trunk runs and then split them back out to specific ports. But my guess is you will spend more money on all those switches than you would running those home runs now.

Reaction score
If it was me, homeruns for sure!!
Thanks. I'm a newb about some of the networking issues but have been learning over the past few weeks. I want to understand why it's best to homerun, so let me play devil's advocate.......
  1. Is the main reason for troubleshooting the wired connections?
  2. Wouldn't 3 or 4 Cat8 homeruns from the remote switch handle all the traffic fine without degradation? If I can't run 26+ individual cables, how many Cat8 (or would you say Cat6 - run is about 60-75 feet) would you feel comfortable? The homerun is a bit tough because the buildings are only connected by a 2nd floor bridge and additionally the wires need to run between an existing 1st & 2nd floor space.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have my cables and switches spread out around the house. Shorter cable runs. The only cable problem i have ever had was a bent cable / rj45 connector. One story house.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
  1. Is the main reason for troubleshooting the wired connections?
  2. Wouldn't 3 or 4 Cat8 homeruns from the remote switch handle all the traffic fine without degradation? If I can't run 26+ individual cables, how many Cat8 (or would you say Cat6 - run is about 60-75 feet) would you feel comfortable? The homerun is a bit tough because the buildings are only connected by a 2nd floor bridge and additionally the wires need to run between an existing 1st & 2nd floor space.
1. No. It for centralization of those lines and a single management point. I don't see troubleshooting changing much.
2. Yes it would/should easily handle the traffic (That I could imagine one to have in a house) fine.

If you have physical constraints to running the wire that's another story. In that case I'd come up with a second location and homerun all of the new lines there. Then now you will have 2 locations to manage. Assuming since you are on this forum that 2nd location will have a POE switch, UPS for backup/etc. You are doubling your infrastructure. The point I was making above is generally in new construction running those cables are very easy. The cost of the cable (especially if you are pulling the cable yourself) will be far cheaper also than creating a second wiring closet and the infrastructure to use it (UPS/etc).

If the physical running of the wires is really that hard. Run 3-4 cables/fiber between closets and then home run all the new wires to the new closet.

Reaction score
1. No. It for centralization of those lines and a single management point. I don't see troubleshooting changing much.
2. Yes it would/should easily handle the traffic (That I could imagine one to have in a house) fine.

If you have physical constraints to running the wire that's another story. In that case I'd come up with a second location and homerun all of the new lines there. Then now you will have 2 locations to manage. Assuming since you are on this forum that 2nd location will have a POE switch, UPS for backup/etc. You are doubling your infrastructure. The point I was making above is generally in new construction running those cables are very easy. The cost of the cable (especially if you are pulling the cable yourself) will be far cheaper also than creating a second wiring closet and the infrastructure to use it (UPS/etc).

If the physical running of the wires is really that hard. Run 3-4 cables/fiber between closets and then home run all the new wires to the new closet.
Very helpful, thank you. I did forget to take into account the additional costs of UPS, rack hardware, labor, etc that it would take to manage a second closet. I do have that issue of difficulty running a lot of wires into the existing home.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that issue of difficulty running a lot of wires into the existing home.
A little bit more work...but might make those 26 runs easier. Can you get a really good accurate measurement for the longest line you have to run?

If so...pre cut all 26 and pull them all at once if you can. Or Beer/Pizza and friends :)

Reaction score
A little bit more work...but might make those 26 runs easier. Can you get a really good accurate measurement for the longest line you have to run?

If so...pre cut all 26 and pull them all at once if you can. Or Beer/Pizza and friends :)
I'm actually paying someone to do it :)