Honeywell IP Dome Camera H4W4PER2 trying to connect use PACOM NVR

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
G'Day All

Need some guidance as I recently picked up 10 of these IP cameras and a Pacom SmartIP 16PM NVR from being dumped in ewaste and trying to get them to play nice with each other nut has me stumped. I am assuming majority of IP cameras and NVR's can communicate with each so I thought I'd drop in and ask here for some assistance in getting them working.

OK, so I've defaulted the Honeywell Camera and its default IP was 192.168.1.108, which points to being a Dahua made unit based in info I have from the "cliff notes" found here. I can log into the IP camera using a PoE Switch to the computer and logged into the camera via web browser and checked the TCP settings and enabled RTSP and ONVIF. Set a Static IP and rebooted camera.

Now when I connect the IP Camera to the NVR POE ports and use the NVR GUI to register the single connected cameras, nothing is found.
When I try to use the Third Party Scan option in the NVR, which has a few protocols to search from exampple , Axis, Panasonic WV, ONVIF Conformance & UDP, I have tried all these via entering the static IP address I assigned to the IP camera and the UDP port number but sadly none of these seem to find the a camera connected as if its not seeing the camera. Unfortunately, I do not have any other camera's to test the NVR ability to scan for cameras, however I can see in the NVR options & ettings the POE port is active and shows power consuption of a few watts. So I assume it's powering up the IP camera fine, but cannot find or get it to connect or talk to eachother?

Given I have exhuasted trying to connect these, am I simply SOOL in getting the NVR to talk to the IP Camera or do I need to make additional changes to the Honeywell camera network settings?

Apprecite any assitance
PEACE
Kosti

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a NVR guy (I use Blue Iris VMS on a PC) but if you logged into the cam and set a static IP, that may not work with a POE NVR which will act as a virtual server and assign its own private IP to the cams as a means of isolation from the Internet. It's likely a whole different subnet from what you assigned to the cam statically and explains why it can't find the cam.

I'd set the cam to DHCP and then plug it into the POE NVR.

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey TonyR
Thanks for the message!
I installed the Amcrest Surveillance Pro on windows to test a theory and this too doesn't find the camera when using the device search function, however if I add this manually with the static IP address the camera pops up in this program and I can view and access all features of the camera in this program. Now I am thinking the NVR is using UDP to search where as the ASP program used TCP as the search protocol, so I am wondering if this has anything to do with the NVR

I do like your suggestion so will also give that a shot as it makes sense that it maybe doing something funky with the IP address / subnets, let me give it a try and report back

PEACE
Kosti

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
OK so what Ive tried to do is add two camera's one static the other just defaulted with the camera set with DHCP. It made total sense the NVR would be NAT'ing the IPs of the camera, but this test now makes zero sense!

I started the camera search in the NVR to add camera but comes up empty, however if I choose the ONVIF protocol option the static assigned camera comes up but no video. Shows error 14, connection was closed by remote host?

I guess its all down to settings of the camera and the limits of the NVR and figuring a balance that works.

What I know is the camera's work and the NVR works, now to get them to be friends!

Thoughts?
PEACE
Kosti

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does the free ODM find the camera at that IP?
It will require login with user/pass and then click on "Live video".
If successful, the RTSP URL should be displayed at lower right.

EDIT 10/9 0858 CT: lastly, does a network sniffer (I use "Fing") find the typical ports and are they the expected defaults (like HTTP is 80, RTSP is 554, etc.) ?

Last edited:

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, fresh start today and a few coffee's in along with a little outside of the box thinking, I finally got them working and connected to the NVR!!! Yeah! :headbang:

So what I did was I used my POE switch and connected both of the IP camera's to the POE switch, then I defaulted both camera's and only changed PW on each, nothing else!
Next I uplinked the POE switch to the Network Video EXT port on the NVR and ran a ONVIF search..

BOOM, both camera's were found immediately. Yippee!:)
I then authenticated them both and added them to the NVR and video was displayed and recording began on the NVR..
Then I removed one of the IP camera's from the POE Switch hub and connected this to the POE ports on the back of the NVR..After a few alarms and no video feed, the camera re-appeared. Pushing my luck I done the same thing to the next IP camera, and bang, this too also showed up a few moments after it was plugged into the back of the NVR POE ports.
Finally I removed the POE switch from the Network Video EXT port on the NVR and everything is working as it should!

Phew! Its finally alive and working!

Now I will try to just default another one out of the 10 IP cameras and see if just a straight up default and plug this into the NVR if it will find it or I will need to do the work around

I assume this method would work for anything having a stubborn NVR and IP camera:cool:

Thanks @TonyR for your input and idea's it truely helped me in my quest to connect different devices

PEACE
Kosti

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Brief and final Update,
I defaulted a 3rd IP camera, via my POE switch and logged on to the IP address after a I hard reset the camera, this one was on /229, not 108 and the initial defaulted IP Camera and proceeded to set a new PW. Once done, I removed it from my POE Switch and plugged this into the POE port on the back of the NVR, hit search using ONVIF protocol and it pops up immediately!

It would seem either option now works flawlessly,
Hope this ends up helping others
PEACE
Kosti