Hoping for help cleaning up compression issue

morelup

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I'm not entirely sure what setting i have incorrect but something i notice on my video (including live feed) that I do not see on others listed is a shifting effect going on every ~.5-1 second.

An example I have is here: you can see the effect i'm describing if you look at the grain of the deck in the shadow.

I originally had my encoding to h.265, i changed it to h.264h and it has cleared up a little but not sure what exactly i'm doing here with most of these settings, so figured I'd ask people who know better than me.

To give a quick summary of what i have set on one of the cameras
H.264H
smart codec = Close
1920/1080
fps 30
VPR
Image Quality 6
Bit Rate 2048

Thank you to anyone who might be able to clarify what i'm doing incorrectly.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not see on others listed is a shifting effect going on every ~.5-1 second.
That's just the i-frame effect.
The i-frame is a periodic full frame (at a frequency set by the i-frame interval you can set) in between the frames that just hold changed data from the previous frame.
Remember - this is not claimed to be cinema or broadcast quality. It's just a security camera.

You could reduce it by bumping the bitrate up a bit, and reducing the un-needed 30fps frame rate - though for VBR, 2048kbps is adequate for a 1080p video stream.

morelup

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I lowered to 15fps and it looks nicer (And saving space I Guess too). I'm not seeing i-frame as even an option though. Actually just checked the camera I just updated to a new firmware and it is there, which probably explains it.

Reaction score
After experimenting with different encoding settings I've settled on:
H.265 VBR 15fps Best Quality 3328Kbps (max bitrate) I Interval of 150

Setting I Interval that high drops the actual used bitrate down a ton since it's not wasting data with unnecessary I-frames. Even on Best quality actual normal data usage hovers around 500Kbps on one of my cams and 1000Kbps on another that has a lot of details in the grass. Still, by maxing out bitrate in the settings it gives the codec additional bitrate headroom if it ever needs it when complex movement happens. Quality is still excellent since it's on VBR Best, especially when considering what a small amount of data it's using. This has roughly doubled my record time compared to my previous settings with no discernible loss in quality.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After experimenting with different encoding settings I've settled on:
H.265 VBR 15fps Best Quality 3328Kbps (max bitrate) I Interval of 150

Setting I Interval that high drops the actual used bitrate down a ton since it's not wasting data with unnecessary I-frames. Even on Best quality actual normal data usage hovers around 500Kbps on one of my cams and 1000Kbps on another that has a lot of details in the grass. Still, by maxing out bitrate in the settings it gives the codec additional bitrate headroom if it ever needs it when complex movement happens. Quality is still excellent since it's on VBR Best, especially when considering what a small amount of data it's using. This has roughly doubled my record time compared to my previous settings with no discernible loss in quality.
Careful, implying VBR is superior to CBR on this forum is grounds for derision.

Reaction score
^ Sorry, as you can see, I'm new here. I'm not saying it's superior, it can't be, I just consider it a better bitrate value for me :) But I have limited enough storage space that there's a real benefit in increasing it. I also like the benefit when streaming over cellular.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I Interval of 150
Really? So an i-frame every 10 seconds?
Presumably you're not recording just on motion / smart event detection then, or the clip could miss the originating action.
Doesn't that cause quite a big pulse in the image each 10 seconds?

Reaction score
Really? So an i-frame every 10 seconds?
Presumably you're not recording just on motion / smart event detection then, or the clip could miss the originating action.
Doesn't that cause quite a big pulse in the image each 10 seconds?
Yes, I'm recording continuously. No, I'm not getting a big pulse in the image on each keyframe, at least not any more noticeably than with shorter intervals.