Horse farm. Multiple buildings

Superior Security Experts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys. I don’t use wireless cameras often. But this customer wants 20 cameras placed on 9 different buildings. Besides trenching are there any wireless options? Unfortunately these buildings are metal.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not an expert at all in this area. But look for posts on Ubiquiti nano station. there are a number of long distance radio/wireless network solutions (not really wifi).

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 on the Ubiquiti, used their wifi bridges many times and just work!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, Ubiquiti Nanostation AC radios are the way to go. They mount outdoors, are powered by PoE, and have way more range than you need. Ubiquiti - NanoStation® AC

There's the standard model "NS-5AC" and a cheaper "Loco5AC" model. They are very similar. The main differences are:

* NS-5AC comes with a 24v 0.5A passive PoE injector which can be used to power the radio. Loco5AC does not come with a power injector, so a 24v passive injector must be purchased separately or an Ubiquiti PoE switch capable of 24v output must be used.
* NS-5AC also supports standard 802.3af PoE.
* NS-5AC has a secondary ethernet port that shares the radio's power source, so if you use standard 802.3af PoE then you can connect a camera directly to the NS-5AC radio and not need to run a second cable all the way from the switch.
* NS-5AC is physically larger and more expensive.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I used ubiquiti once. 1300 ft thru trees. Locom9. Works good as of 3 months. **But this site may not have great internet due to such a rural area. Is there a way to use these bridges and split with Poe switches and have entire system recording as one even if Internet is down?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used ubiquiti once. 1300 ft thru trees. Locom9. Works good as of 3 months. **But this site may not have great internet due to such a rural area. Is there a way to use these bridges and split with Poe switches and have entire system recording as one even if Internet is down?
You don't need Internet to use the UBNT's as Layer 2 Transparent Bridges. If configured as stated, you essentially have a CAT-5e cable running from point to point. Then there's also PtMP (Point to Multi-point).

Internet would only be needed for remote access (no access to the LAN). The NVR or a PC with VMS (like Blue Iris) would be on the LAN doing the recording.

The radios are mounted outside the buildings so metal sides/roofs (rooves?) doesn't matter, but decent LOS (Line of Sight) does.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll 2nd the Ubiquity gear. I have 2 sets of NanoBeams for 2 remote buildings in use - no issues at all.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If they are that close I would go for laying cable where possible.. you can always try wifi but once you start seeing drop- outs and jerking video you'd wished you had done it right first time.

For your trenches you can either dig them out or hire one these.

It's all about your budget and profit.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
. Some of the barns are very close to each other. Any way to use WiFi for those or just shovel trench from one to the other if 25 ft or less?
I'm a big fan of keepin' it simple but just waiting for the aerial shots with approximate distances and desired cam locations before I can make an informed comment. :cool:

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Owner is trenching some areas. He just doesn’t want to do it all over the place. The stables close to each other I’m just gonna trench from one to another. Will I need another switch near Nvr? If anyone has other design ideas please let me know. Pay attention to my legend. It’s rough but a start.

Attachments

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
upload_2019-10-5_14-38-39.png

Quick drawing, tried to overlay your original...This is how I would run it, I'm using the central building as the base of the star network.

24/48 port POE Switch which is used to power and feed most the cameras. I would run the feed for each camera down conduit in the trenches. i.e for your two main trenches I'm running 18 - 20 (10 down each trench) separate RJ45 Cat 6 cables to the cameras feeding the cables tidy once in the building via 20mm plastic / metal conduit.

The Wifi bridge connects to the main 24/48 port switch and bridges to a 8 port POE switch in the far building which is used to power / feed the cameras. Again tidy with conduit. Depending on your camera bandwidth I would go for a BlueIris PC which would manage / control the all the cameras. This pc can be located anyway as long as it can patch into the above network somewhere via one RJ45 cable.

N/B I don't know the distance between all the buildings so if the distance is two great you may want to think about POE switches in the 3 buildings with the most cameras and forget about running the separate cable runs.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nice drawing. The buildings are approximately 200-300 max distance to the farthest camera away. I was considering home running all cams but using 8 ports at each would cut down on cable costs. What type of switch will I need by pc? Two cams on central building are gonna be right there. And at least 18 cams coming there thru x3 8 port switches.