Hostname (networking) on Genuine Hikvision vs OEM Hikvision cameras

Keness

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a large number of Hikvision cameras and also generic OEM versions of the same camera. They are identical in every way (minus the logo) except in one area that I've discovered...

No matter WHAT I do, I can't seem to get the Hikvision cameras to post a hostname to the network. The identical camera, same firmware even it seems, happily post a hostname.

Has anyone else bumped into this and found a workaround?

For reference, where I enter the hostname on the OEM cameras is: Network -> Basic Settings -> Domain Name Settings

If I enable that on an OEM camera, and provide a valid hostname, it comes through to my router that way. On an identical Hikvision brand camera, it doesn't.

I've verified this of several different model OEM vs matching Hikvision cameras, and the result is always the same. The OEM always passes the hostname, and the Hik version does not.

It isn't a dealbreaker or anything, just seems so odd. Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks!

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I know it can make a huge difference when dialing in dahua cams... Try using a different web browser, or consider trying making changes with the hik config tool

Bink

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why rely on this at all? If it's important to you, statically configure the IPs (or configure reservations) and run your own internal DNS.

Keness

n3wb
Reaction score
Why rely on this at all? If it's important to you, statically configure the IPs (or configure reservations) and run your own internal DNS.
As I said, it isn't a dealbreaker.

It is handy sometimes and I don't understand why it behaves differently on Hik branded vs OEM versions of the same camera with the same firmware revision. I thought maybe there was a default network setting that was different between the two that I needed to change, so I reached out to the knowledge here.

But thanks anyway.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
From personal experience I’ve seen very similar issues with other network related metrics.

Have two identical PTZ with apparently the same firmware. Both units have the exact same tabs and function the same.

However, the rebranded version shows no model number in SADP tool.

Even worse, as I use the SNMP protocol extensively to track and monitor the equipment using all manner of NMS.

The rebranded unit offers zero information to the (NMS) Network Monitoring System.

Than again, Hikvision like other Chinese companies have extremely poor SNMP support!

This is where I’ll freely admit Dahua leads in taking on public feedback and trying to resolve issues / bugs.

As an aside the fact the industry as a whole don’t follow any real standards as it relates to SNMP / MIBS / NMS is why it’s a complete cluster fuck!