Hot Deal-TOSHIBA X300 HDWE160XZSTA 6TB 7200 RPM $169.99

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow a Toshiba 6TB HDD on sale for $169.99, see attached.
Question, could this Toshiba HDD be used in NVR's?
Are Toshiba HDD any good? toshiba.jpg

Edit: promo code ESCENEN22, ends 9/15

EyePeeKamz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are Toshiba HDD any good? View attachment 13097

This is why you run into the problems you do. Why would you blindly call something a hot deal when you don't know anything at all about it? Seems rather foolhardy no?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is why you run into the problems you do. Why would you blindly call something a hot deal when you don't know anything at all about it? Seems rather foolhardy no?
First of all you don't know me so your premise in why I run into problems is BS.
Evidently you have reading comprehension problem. You must have not understood my last question. I don't run into things blindly, if I did I would have purchased the HDD without asking the question. Take a few reading English class lessons, you might learn it is not smart to call a customer a LIAR.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that "nobody" here can answer because "everybody" here is using surveillance drives instead of general drives. Is the surveillance drive actually better for the job, or is the only difference the color of the label? After pondering the issue, I gave in and ordered a 3TB drive with the purple label.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've always had good luck with Toshiba products...much better than Seagate that's for certain. I also have a lot of respect for Hitachi products. However, whether this is a good deal or not I cannot say.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First of all you don't know me so your premise in why I run into problems is BS...I don't run into things blindly, if I did I would have purchased the HDD without asking the question. Take a few reading English class lessons, you might learn it is not smart to call a customer a LIAR.
Chill bro...I don't believe that he's not talking about you specifically...rather, I believe that he's making a generalization about people in general, eh?

Besides, even if he is talking about you who gives a fuQ anyway?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now that is a constructive answer.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Chill bro...I don't believe that he's not talking about you specifically...rather, I believe that he's making a generalization about people in general, eh?

Besides, even if he is talking about you who gives a fuQ anyway?
4 times he wrote "you" which is "me", not anyone else in this group.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that "nobody" here can answer because "everybody" here is using surveillance drives instead of general drives. Is the surveillance drive actually better for the job, or is the only difference the color of the label? After pondering the issue, I gave in and ordered a 3TB drive with the purple label.
Mistake is speaking for ":everybody" because "everybody" in this group is not using surveillance drives. I know I read a member is using a green drive.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well fuQ him then, eh Mr. Sensitive. :)
Can I get permission to use your reply to members who gave me wrong advice, telling me I have IP problems when I didn't? I will tell them they shouldn't lead me blindly down the wrong path, lol.
I'm sure they are not sensitive as Mr. Sensitive, :)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Mistake is speaking for ":everybody" because "everybody" in this group is not using surveillance drives. I know I read a member is using a green drive.
"Everybody" is in quotes to make it obvious that it's a bit of an exaggeration.

Brad_C

Banned
Reaction score
General drives *can* perform adequately if your recorder is clever about how it schedules writes. Most good VMS will create one massive file or several massive files on the disk, map those so it knows how the file is allocated and then schedules writes to minimise head movement. These work really well with most drives regardless of persuasion although seeking and playback can be a bit choppy on slower drives. Other VMS, not so much. VMS that record separate clips are even worse as over a period of time the drive gets highly fragmented as clips are written and deleted. Filesystems in general are not geared to cope with files being constantly deleted and written without pretty bad fragmentation. Preallocation helps a lot here, but most budget VMS don't go that far.

The other main issue is error recovery. Purple and Red drives have SCT/ERC where the drive returns quickly after encountering a bad sector (where quickly seems to default to about 7 seconds). A general desktop drive can take in excess of 120 seconds and during that time appears to be properly dead. Not even bus resets sort them out. Windows does not like that, and I've not seen what a cheap NVR does in those conditions.

Honestly it depends on what you are using to record with, your usage pattern and what your expectations are, so there is no hard and fast answer. For the budget stuff that seems to get discussed here (Chinese NVRs & Blue Iris) I'd be using a surveillance drive just for the error recovery and extra warranty over and above a desktop drive. I've certainly recorded to a RAID6 of WD Green drives for years, but that's not a normal use-case and I was using enterprise VMSs running in VMs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I often use the standard drive that come with a pc for blue iris. ZERO issues. I have over 20 pc's running blue iris and only had a single failure of a 2.5 drive after that pc was moved to refinish the floors.
If buying new I would get a purple.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At home (3 cameras), I'm presently using a 1GB Hitachi Touro 7200RPM external USB3 drive for my Blue Iris Data drive and at work (20 cameras) I'm using an internal 6GB WDC Purple. No problems with either drive for me.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Are Toshiba HDD any good? View attachment 13097

Hey Anto,

Its a Great deal for a desktop drive. You could use it in your system for a NVR or BI but you may run into pre mature failure or funky performance. I did a quick look and Toshiba does make drives for surveillance systems. Hope all is well and thanks for the heads up ;0

Chris