How a pro runs wire without access

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks good .. should help a few people out ..

How a pro runs wire without access

In this video, a professional cable installer shows you how to run and hide wiring in the hardest places. We show you the tools that only the pros know about and let you know where to get them. This is how to run wires through walls and ceilings of an RV or finished home.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man, my father and I fished and pulled wires using nuts tied on string and sections of coat-hangers. El Cheapo would never have spent money on a tool that would have saved him, and I, frustration and time!
That's how my dad showed me as well. Luckily we were dealing with interior walls with no fire blocks.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
That's how my dad showed me as well. Luckily we were dealing with interior walls with no fire blocks.
Our experience was similar. But there was still plaster and lathe in some sections which posed its own set of challenges due to the hook on the clothes hanger frequently getting snagged on the lathe.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got some "extra" holes from running various things. My most embarrassing one was thinking I was drilling into the space between the downstairs ceiling, and the upstairs floor. I knew something was wrong when I saw light coming through the hole. I hadn't considered there was a stairwell between the wall I was drilling into, and the space I wanted to access.

So, I've got a 1/2" hole in the wall of the stairs.

I'll have to watch the video as I always seem to need to run something; CAT6, speaker wires, HDMI and power to a projector....

I ran a lot of stuff by tying a hard drive magnet to a string, and then using another hard drive magnet to pull the string across the ceiling to the other side.