How are Dahua doorbells?

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I’m really opposed to monthly fees to view cloud camera feeds and whatnot. I’ve used Dahua for well over a decade now, and everyone’s always amazed the quality and ease of use of my cameras in DMSS.

I’m looking to get away from the monthly fees of Ring, and had been considering a Ubiquiti G4 (since I’m already invested in the Unifi ecosystem), but I see Dahua has some options too.

How do those work? Are they powered by a normal doorbell transformer? Do they have doorbell chime triggering? Any monthly fees? Do they rely on Dahua servers for communications? Is it handled through DMSS or some other app? Any Alexa integration?

information is a bit scarce.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are the review threads to a few of them.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Sunfox The title of forum thread that I shared above is incomplete. Reolink provides 2 versions of doorbell: POE or Wifi. The Wifi version can be powered by a doorbell transformer. I bought Wifi version and it integrates well with BlueIris and Home Assistant. Completely local.

BTW, YouTube video includes both Reolinks as well as other brands.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, sadly POE is not an option as the builder only ran a standard doorbell cable.
I have a Lorex doorbell camera and WiFi works fine once you get everything set up. I did have to install a new doorbell chime and larger transformer since my original 40+ year old Nutone doorbell wasn't compatible with the Lorex doorbell camera.

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ugh. So the Dahua 2K’s video is horrible (and seems to be the only model available). Frankly the Unifi’s video is also completely unacceptable for the high price. And the otherwise excellent Reolink won’t activate a local doorbell chime.

Thinking I’m just going to install the old but still NIB Ring Pro I still have, and eat the $40/year subscription price until better products come out.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ugh. So the Dahua 2K’s video is horrible (and seems to be the only model available). Frankly the Unifi’s video is also completely unacceptable for the high price. And the otherwise excellent Reolink won’t activate a local doorbell chime.

Thinking I’m just going to install the old but still NIB Ring Pro I still have, and eat the $40/year subscription price until better products come out.
The Lorex doorbell camera I have works very well and actually better than I had expected. It has it's own app for notifications and remote access plus also works with my NVR for 24/7 recording and playback, but no Alexa support. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Sunfox Reolink comes with it's own chime. Why wouldn't that work for you if you want to avoid cloud doorbells? With Ring, you're also loosing control since they have access to your video now.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, sadly POE is not an option as the builder only ran a standard doorbell cable.
What is standard doorbell cable?

I found out Cat 3 was run to my doorbell, and they just used 2 wires from it to run power. I wasn't able to use the cable as a pull cord to run cat 6, so I just spliced some in.

Anyhow, if I had to do it again, I might consider the WiFi version, despite the fact that it's against my religion.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
What is standard doorbell cable?

I found out Cat 3 was run to my doorbell, and they just used 2 wires from it to run power. I wasn't able to use the cable as a pull cord to run cat 6, so I just spliced some in.

Anyhow, if I had to do it again, I might consider the WiFi version, despite the fact that it's against my religion.
standard doorbell wire is just 2 conductor small guage (like 22awg)

that being said, almost all new builds are using cat 5 or cat 6 to the bell location

Last edited:

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have to say I’m quite intrigued by the forthcoming Lorex 4K doorbell. Unless the video quality is garbage, it seems to have everything I’m looking for including chime integration, local video storage, no fees, etc.

The ReoLink also looks quite good, only I have a real soft spot for mechanical chimes! :)

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Reolink wifi doorbell camera is on sale on Amazon $80. It is a lightning deal, you might need to have Amazon prime to get the discount.

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks to be US Prime only (I’m in Canada). But they seem to have a coupon going in Canada which brings it down to the equivalent of $88 US.

Reaction score
Have to say I’m quite intrigued by the forthcoming Lorex 4K doorbell.
Sounds interesting is there a part number or a direct link for info yet? My hikvison doorbell cam is barely hanging on and I don't like it much anyway (DS-HD1)

Sunfox

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds interesting is there a part number or a direct link for info yet? My hikvison doorbell cam is barely hanging on and I don't like it much anyway (DS-HD1)

Quite a bit more spendy than the Reolink 2K.