How are you connecting to your WiFi doorbell camera?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
My house has a 2-way NuTone intercom doorbell that never really worked all that great. As I recall, when the house was being built in 1992 I ran 24-volt from a doorbell transformer in the coat closet to the front door intercom doorbell and probably another set of wire from the control board in the coat closet to the intercom.

Now that I'm trying to get upgraded for something more appropriate going into the 3rd decade of the 21st century I'm thinking about what kind of doorbell camera I'd set up. Ideally it'd be POE but honestly I just don't think I can drop POE in there without really tearing into walls. For that reason I was thinking about the less ideal solution of a WiFi doorbell camera that is powered by a 24-volt transformer. I was just curious about how y'all are connecting to your BI server. I'm assuming you've added either a USB WiFi dongle or maybe a PCI WiFi card.

Anyhow, was just wondering which dongle or PCI card you think is decent. From what I briefly read the WiFi doorbells are typically only 2.4GHz? And, how is that WiFi implementation working out for you with your doorbell camera....sucks or rock solid?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My house has a 2-way NuTone intercom doorbell that never really worked all that great. As I recall, when the house was being built in 1992 I ran 24-volt from a doorbell transformer in the coat closet to the front door intercom doorbell and probably another set of wire from the control board in the coat closet to the intercom.

Now that I'm trying to get upgraded for something more appropriate going into the 3rd decade of the 21st century I'm thinking about what kind of doorbell camera I'd set up. Ideally it'd be POE but honestly I just don't think I can drop POE in there without really tearing into walls. For that reason I was thinking about the less ideal solution of a WiFi doorbell camera that is powered by a 24-volt transformer. I was just curious about how y'all are connecting to your BI server. I'm assuming you've added either a USB WiFi dongle or maybe a PCI WiFi card.

Anyhow, was just wondering which dongle or PCI card you think is decent. From what I briefly read the WiFi doorbells are typically only 2.4GHz? And, how is that WiFi implementation working out for you with your doorbell camera....sucks or rock solid?
If you use a wifi doorbell, you dont need to add wifi the the blue iris machine..the doorbell connects to your routers wifi.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
The direction I was going was to keep the cameras/BI on the 192.168.0.X side whereas the router and all my other ethernet devices are on the 192.168.1.X side. Anyhow, you've given me food for thought on a different approach.