how can i crop the region of interest to become my main stream?

consort

n3wb
Reaction score
due to limits on where i can mount my annke cube on hikvision 5.4.5 firmware
nearly half the screen area is useless to me, so i want to crop a region and only
record on event that area. no matter what i try on the ROI tab, i can't get it working.
is there something else i have to do on other pages to correspond with ROI settings
in order to enjoy the cropped main stream i'm looking for?

or is my understanding of what ROI is supposed to be able to do incorrect.

and yes, i did skim section 6.4.3 of the manual, but none of is seems to "crop",
and something the manual calls "target cropping" is not in my cube's firmware.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
ROI doesn't 'crop' as such - it's more an image enhancement facility.
ROI Settings
Purpose:
ROI (Region of Interest) encoding helps to discriminate the ROI and background information in video compression, which means, the technology assigns more encoding resource to the region of interest, thus to increase the quality of the ROI whereas the background information is less focused.

consort

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks alastairs.

if i bought the hikvision 4mp cube, do you believe it would include the "target cropping" feature page in the firmware that the annke 2mp cube seems to lack, and make some cropped region my main stream so i don't keep recording so much useless screen real estate? or are these ~$100 cameras incapable of providing this feature altogether.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That Help text was from a DS-2CD2335FWD-I running the 5.5.4 - as new as it gets - with a fair collection of Smart Events.
I don't believe the target cropping feature exists on cameras other that the so-called 'Smart Solution 2.0' collection.
If you've seen this in a user manual - remember that the manuals do cover a wide range of models.

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you upgrade the lens in your cube?

That would shorten your FOV and bring in your region of interest.

consort

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks chev,

even if i did, it would only crop the center of the view, not crop off center as i need here.
the camera is mounted in a way that limits how much i can angle it, thus a need to crop.

alstair,

5.5.4 could make sense for the x.265 encode, but i specifically want mine working at x264,
so i'd rather not risk the firmware upgrade on the remote chance my target crop works.