How can I debug I/O errors?

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had BI running with my same Hikvision cameras, going on 3-4 years or more. I've never really had an issue with them until recently.
Now, I keep getting I/O errors on both cameras. Sometimes its for 2 seconds, other times its as long as 20-30 minutes. During this time, I am able to connect to the camera directly, blue iris still shows Bitrate changes. I've checked my routers and switches for packet issues, Ive even wiresharked it while this happens. There is nothing that shows this is a networking issue.
That being said, is there some extended debug logging I can look at that would help me troubleshoot this issue? I've tried multiple settings for the cameras: http, https, Receive buffers from 10MB to 100MB.

Any other suggestions or help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also notice when this happens, that the display bars stop updating. Even though some of that data is there, they just keep on showing no activity unless I reboot BI. Then it fills in the missing chunks, even though the video doesnt exist for a few seconds or minutes.

BEFORE:

AFTER BI RESTART:

Lastly, another thing Ive noticed. My files are now much smaller in size, assuming this is when the I/O issues occur. Could all this be disk related (nothing has changed on that end though)?

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This has happened in the previous update, as well as my current: 5.2.5.3
I see another new version, worth a try?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't update from 5.2.5.3 just yet. I had problems with .4 and .5.

It might be worth trying to downgrade to 5.2.4.x.

I really have no idea what would make the timeline misbehave like this.

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im less concerned about the timeline. That just seems to be maybe some sort of caching or disk reading issue. It fixes itself. But the underlying issue is still the IO Error O's from the cameras that have been working for years with no connection loss.
I'll try downgrading back to 5.2.4.x and see what happens.

in the meantime, is there any debugging I can turn on for BI? Im going to start poking at the cameras logs as well, but Ive googled everything and cant seem to figure out where I could enable better debugging for BI.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im less concerned about the timeline. That just seems to be maybe some sort of caching or disk reading issue. It fixes itself. But the underlying issue is still the IO Error O's from the cameras that have been working for years with no connection loss.
I'll try downgrading back to 5.2.4.x and see what happens.

in the meantime, is there any debugging I can turn on for BI? Im going to start poking at the cameras logs as well, but Ive googled everything and cant seem to figure out where I could enable better debugging for BI.
Roll back, and wait for the author to fix. Send a support email as outlined in the BI help.

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reverted to 5.2.3.2 - No issues for last hour+
Ill keep watching.

++

singularity42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The issue started again after about an hour and continued on with 100+ signal losses every hour.

I was able to resolve this myself. The issue was related to a new setting in Hikvision Firmware:
H.264+ was set to True. Apparently BI has some issues with this setting. As soon as I set it to false, I have now gone 24 hours without a single signal loss on 3 cameras.
:thumb:

skiocink

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had same problem with all 5.2.5.x versions.
The simple downgrade to 5.2.4.6 does not worked, so i've uninstalled all and cleaned windows registry.
Installed an old 5 version than updated to 5.2.4.6 (latest i tested witout problems) and now I'm happy.

Looking for a full 5.2.4.6 install package but is quite impossible to find

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had same problem with all 5.2.5.x versions.
The simple downgrade to 5.2.4.6 does not worked, so i've uninstalled all and cleaned windows registry.
Installed an old 5 version than updated to 5.2.4.6 (latest i tested witout problems) and now I'm happy.

Looking for a full 5.2.4.6 install package but is quite impossible to find
Are you also using h264+/265+ or smart codec like the op?