How can I keep the spiders from sabotaging my driveway cam?

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've tried various chemicals but nothing I thought might damage the camera itself. In the summer these little boogers quickly rebuild their web after my daily brushing.

Driveway 2023-10-05 08.40.03.562 PMsm.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've tried various chemicals but nothing I thought might damage the camera itself. In the summer these little boogers quickly rebuild their web after my daily brushing.

View attachment 174112
Maybe disable any light source, white or IR, that emanates from the cam and install outboard lighting away from the cam?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are these bullet cameras? I switch from bullet to turret and it has eliminated most of my issues with spiders.
I have turret cameras and they still get spiderwebs. Spiders are attracted to the IR lights. I cleaned the cameras yesterday evening after work and the spiderwebs were back again this morning....spiders never sleep. :lmao: :lmao:

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have turret cameras and they still get spiderwebs. Spiders are attracted to the IR lights. I cleaned the cameras yesterday evening after work and the spiderwebs were back again this morning....spiders never sleep. :lmao: :lmao:
Yeah, that could be part of it too! I got better turret cameras than the bullets I had and I don't use the IR lights on 3 out of 4 of them any longer, but even the one I still use the IR lights on seem to get a lot less webs than the bullet cameras did.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wearing gloves, I've always just put some Home Defense on a rag and wiped the camera (NOT the lens) and the area above it where necessary. I still occasionally get a spider with a death wish, but not very often. Forget what it shows on the product... it absolutely does NOT last a full season. :p

danweber1

n3wb
Reaction score
Wearing gloves, I've always just put some Home Defense on a rag and wiped the camera (NOT the lens) and the area above it where necessary. I still occasionally get a spider with a death wish, but not very often. Forget what it shows on the product... it absolutely does NOT last a full season. :p
I do a similar thing when they get bad and it helps. But mostly switching from bullet to turret style cams cut down on most of the issues.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I spray big circles of Home Defense around the camera on the brick, siding, soffit, where ever the camera is installed. Like a 3 foot diameter around the camera a couple times a year and I rarely get the webs.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
..... Home Defense ...
This stuff works for me, although I am much less careful with it. I have the gallon jug with the spray wand and just spray all around the cam. Usually lasts for a few months. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: I also spray this around the outside perimeter of my home, around man doors, garage doors and inside the home along all walls and steps. It's like having a pest control service come in but much less expensive.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tiny jumping spiders love to sit on the seat of my tractor, which is under a shed. They're usually black with white mandibles which they move around in a circular fashion when I approach and it looks like they are moving their balled-up fists around in a small circle, challenging me to a boxing match. They're harmless, of course...and kind of cute, IMO.

Talk about strange and amazing, there's this:

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Camera is an unbraded Dahua Starlight cam. Bought it from Andy on Amazon. Both "illuminator" and "Backlight" under Conditions are turned off. I assume one of those is the IR emitter. The streetlight at the end of the driveway provides all the light it needs.

EDIT - the spider and webs are only visible at night.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's true BUT....
Their biggest reason for them erecting their webs there is because of the insects that are attracted to the IR.

Spiders are a pain but one has to admire their skills and their tenacity. :cool:
But the OP image is color, so no IR is on LOL...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Camera is an unbraded Dahua Starlight cam. Bought it from Andy on Amazon. Both "illuminator" and "Backlight" under Conditions are turned off. I assume one of those is the IR emitter. The streetlight at the end of the driveway provides all the light it needs.

EDIT - the spider and webs are only visible at night.
Illuminator is the IR. Backlight is computer processing to adjust the image.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe the image is color because between the bright porch light and the street light the cam thinks it's day.

Th backlight setting is in the camera itself. Does it affect what happens in the computer?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the image is color because between the bright porch light and the street light the cam thinks it's day.

Th backlight setting is in the camera itself. Does it affect what happens in the computer?
BI simply takes whatever video is being fed to it, so backlight has no effect on the computer.

In fact we don't even suggest using backlight options at night.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I turned the IR emitters off right after I got the cam. Doesn't seem to make any difference as far as the spidies are concerned. I just went out there and unleashed global Armageddon on them with my air compressor. I know they'll be back tho. Wish there was a better solution.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

View attachment 174112
Exactly the reason why I use external lighting and have no lights on my cams. Stops rain drop streaks too from showing up.

Now I haven't tried this but Gator says WD-40 keeps bugs away, maybe try rubbing WD-40 all over the camera housing?? Anyone else know this Gator guy?? LOL "Neeeeeeeeext!!"